burn out motherboard, what would happen to my devices?

A place where the most common PC questions are already answered for you.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

burn out motherboard, what would happen to my devices?

Postby newstara » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:46 am

hey guys kud u help me wit my prob? i bot my pc abwt 3yrs ago, it has a 350W powersuply. after a yr, it burned out i dnt no y, i no ds cos i smel samtng bad on it (mayb bcos i got 2 much lod, i aded a dvd/burner n a tvcard) so i bot a 400W powersuply. yestrday my pc just turned of n it wont turn on again so i suspectd a powersuply damage (again?), but ds tym i didnt notice any bad smel on it, but stil i bot a new 600W suply (juice baby i nid mor juice, do i?) but stil it didnt turn on, so i startd 2 inspec my bord n my devices f ders samtng fishy or melted capacitor(?), yes, i saw 4 capacitor wit melted plastic covering n a rusty metallic top, but ders 1 same capacitor without any signs of damage. so now m convince dat my maderbord was burned out (r u sure?). my question s, wat wud hpen 2 my devices lyk my procesor, memories, video n tv cards, etc.? pls dnt tel me i shud by a new pc cos day ol burned out... tnks n advance 4 d help, masters of maderbords...
newstara
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:51 am

Welcome to Motherboards.org!
Your question may be better if posted in the "General" folder. A Mod may see fit to move it.

Many factors can cause a computer to fail. Heat is the main enemy, due to dust clogging the fans and heat sinks/vents, and fans failing to spin properly. It takes less than 5 minutes to do fatal damage to a system.
And there was a plague on the electronics industry from the "bad caps" syndrome.. where the capacitors began to bulge and leak, and also short internally. More info at www.badcaps.net/ .
Possible there are some salvageable parts from your old system. But in replacing the motherboard, you would want an exact same model, or the operating system (OS) would self-destruct. That would mean a complete reinstall of all programming.
The only way to test old components is by placing them into another setup which can support them.
For some budget computer models, they are notorious to have just "adequate" power supplies and features. And if certain eMachine models have a power supply (PSU) failure, the motherboard also dies.
Hope you can salvage some of the setup.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby newstara » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:12 pm

tnks karl, great help i rili aprecia8 8. m jst afraid i cant find d same model of d mobo cos 8s nt available hir n my place, ol i can c r LGA775 sockets n my procesor s 478socket. anywys m also planning 2 upgrade my system. i thnk il b niding a new mobo, procesor, n memories ryt. Godbls man n tnks again
newstara
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:42 am

Yes, the Socket 478 field is becoming barren. No new models are made, but there are many "NOS" (new old stock) offerings on eBay. And lots of used ones. Depending on your locale, there may be a comp shop that has some offerings. But you have to find a model that will accept your carry-over parts. If the processor is of decent lineage, then it may still be useful for a few years. Otherwise, you are looking toward a completely different setup.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to MBHW Q&A