7800 GS AGP overclocked

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

7800 GS AGP overclocked

Postby Boge42 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:14 pm

So I think I've decided to purchase a 7800 GS video card for my AGP board just to keep me playing for another year and then upgrade.

I've looked in to them a bit and eVGA has a superclocked version sitting at 460mhz rather than the normal 400 or so. It looks to be the choice of video card for an AGP user.

My question is, could I purchase a normal 7800gs and overclock it to these speeds easily enough with the stock fan, or would that just be a bad idea?

I don't want to spend $300 for this card since it will be a SM 3.0 substitute for my x850 XT.
Boge42
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Sabrewings » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:19 pm

Every card manufacturer is going to have a different stock fan and different PCB quality, so I can't guarantee you'll be able to hit those speeds. Although, I will say you stand a very strong chance. If you can't, get something like an NV Silencer (cooling for memory and GPU) and see how far you can push it.

If your motherboard supports adjusting the AGP voltage, crank it up, too. It's not a common feature, but I've found on my board boosting to 1.65v on the AGP port yields very good results.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Overclockers Anonymous