Need Help From Overclocking Experts

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby beaconengr » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:57 am

Now running stably at 3.6 under prime 95. Voltage had to be upped to 1.6 to get to this. Temperature maxes out at 55c. Using Thermaltake heatsink and fan and arctic silver 5. From what i have read, this temperature should be fine. I am going to be reluctant to increase the voltage any further though becaue i dont want to burn out the processor. It certainly appears i will not be able to gain a lot with this setup, but 200 mhz i guess is better than nothing. Any suggestions as to what the maximum voltage this cpu should be safe at or is it more a temperature issue than the voltage? I read some reviews that stated the maximum voltage of 1.8 on this board would be a limiting factor, which at least implies you could go this high. However, i may sit where i am and be happy. Any more of your thoughts would be welcome.
beaconengr
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:39 am

I can crank up near 2.0V and I've had it there for a short while. I also know if my processor doesn't like the settings I feed it (voltage wise), it will refuse to boot. I'd imagine you would be fine.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby beaconengr » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:42 am

Thanks, one last question. Do you have any other voltages raised, such as memory, agp, etc.?
beaconengr
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:52 am

I have AGP raised, but that's for overclocking my video card. Doesn't affect the rest of the system.

Memory is at 2.8V, CPU at 1.575v stable at 240FSB (3.6ghz). If I want to run 4ghz, I just need a bump to 1.6V.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby mitsubishi » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:07 am

I think it was the Northwood's older than yours that were notorious for just dying when you upped the voltage, but you are of cause always taking a risk. Maybe a screenshot of cpu-z might find someone who can tell you exactly what revision you have, although these might require inspection of the actual chip.

You don't need to raise voltages for anything you are not overclocking, your RAM should be rated to 250 at standard voltage. You only increase the voltage because at a higher than rated frequency signalling voltage fails to be achieved in the smaller time per cycle and causes 1's to read as 0's. Upping the voltage too much or when not needed can have the inverse affect and cause 1's to be read when they are 0's
mitsubishi
Green Belt
Green Belt

Previous

Return to Overclockers Anonymous