Need Help From Overclocking Experts

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Need Help From Overclocking Experts

Postby beaconengr » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:42 pm

I have an Aopen AX4SPE Max motherboard, 865 PE Chipset, 3.4 GHZ Northwood. I have decided to try to squeeze a little more performance from this board. I am using Crucial Ballistix DDR 500 memory, which is supposed to be good for overclocking. I have read numerous articles on overclocking and studied this site thoroughly. The problem. When i raise the FSB by only 1 MHZ, the system will not boot into windows. If I raise the voltage on the memory it still will not boot. If I use a multiplier to run the memory at slower speeds, it still will not boot with the FSB raised at all. Question. Is there something i am overlooking here? This certainly seems to be a simple procedure. Several reviewers were able to overclock this board to a FSB of over 250 MHZ, so something doesnt make sense. Need suggestions. I did trade out the SATA drives for IDE drives, as this board would not allow overclocking at all with SATA drives.
beaconengr
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby mitsubishi » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:13 pm

Well your Ram seems not to be the problem, if this is your BIOSthen everything looks untied anyway so the problem lies with the chipset or the CPU.

First thing I'd do is run something like prime to make sure you are 100% stable at stock if 17mHz makes you unbootable. Also you could try a new BIOS if you still have the original. Then if still no joy try a tiny bit more CPU voltage, I doubt the chipset is the cause.
mitsubishi
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby beaconengr » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:21 pm

That is the BIOS. Same screens. Computer has been rock solid with absolutely no issues. What should be the limit for CPU voltage? Dont want to burn up a perfectly performing CPU.
beaconengr
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby beaconengr » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:37 pm

Upped CPU voltage from 1.55 to 1.575 and booted right up. First time, so it certainly appears this was at least part of the issue. What would be the maximum voltage the CPU could stand? Motherboard goes to 1.6. Dont want to burn up a good processor.
Also, at what point would you consider adding memory voltage?
beaconengr
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby mitsubishi » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:49 pm

1.6 should be well within the CPU but Northwoods can be a little flippant, particulary the old ones, but many people have them at 1.8+ (although others have destroyed them at lower)

You should be checking your temps now you have upped the voltage to make sure they are not going too high. Then using prime or simerlar test each incremental FSB increase to see how high that voltage can stably take you.

You should keep your DDR speed in sync with your FSB or will not perform at its max efficiency. You shouldn't need to worry about RAM voltage, voltage increases are only needed when the signal no longer carries at the speed you are running at.

So first step up your DDR to 201 also and run prime while watching temps, then try a little faster.
mitsubishi
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby beaconengr » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:05 pm

So far, so good. FSB at 205, DDR at 410. Prime 95 runnign stably so far.CPU temp holding at 52C. My intention is not to overclock so far that the CPU temp goes out of the 50's. This will give me a reasonable cushion, i believe, before temp is too high.
Thanks so much for your assistance. I maintain, build, everything else, but the overclocking is new since i never had an interest. However, my sons gaming machine is just too much computer to arbitrarily discard and build new. If i can get this CPU to 3.8, overclock his ATI x800xt pe, i can keep him at least a little happy for a while.
beaconengr
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby beaconengr » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:38 pm

Move the FSB up to 208 and had to up the CPU voltage to 1.6 before computer would boot. Stable so far at this but is looking like not much overclock unless i really raise the voltage a lot on the cpu.
What would you do from here? Cant see how some of the reviewers achieved over 250 FSB on this thing.
beaconengr
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby mitsubishi » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:19 pm

Well it's the CPU holding back the overclock, not the board. I'm not really familiar with these chips, so not sure what the 'average' is. Is the multiplier locked down also? I think it probably is, but at your current 3.536 you could run say 221*16 and have the benefit of higher FSB and RAM speed while keeping in sync, but it's probably locked.

Even if all you get is a measly 136mhz, it's a something and some overclocking experience. :P

Next step volt mods and water cooling :o
mitsubishi
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby beaconengr » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:06 pm

Multiplier is locked, as on most Intel CPU's. I actually noticed that the maximum cpu voltage available is 1.8 instead of the 1.6 on some of the older bios versions of this board. One reviewer implied that even 1.8 was not excessive so i may play around with a little more voltage. Thanks for the help so far.
beaconengr
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:50 am

What kind of cooling do you have? That CPU can get hot fast if you crank the volts. I have my 3.0C (Northwood) at a steady 3.6ghz with 1.575v. It's been there for over two and a half years now.

The thing with Northwoods is only certain batches were the good overclockers. SL6WUs and SL6WKs (both known as 3.0C) were the gods of Northwood overclocking. Both were rebadged 3.6ghz Xeon chips with failed L2 cache. They shut down the failed cache so it was equal to Northwood cache and sold them as such to still make some money. I went out of my way and got a SL6WK and sucker can run over 4ghz if I had water cooling.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Overclockers Anonymous