Asus M2N-sli deluxe unable to overclock

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Sabrewings » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:35 am

I'm running a Swiftech MCX478 with a 92mm Enermax fan. I've been planning to water cool in the next month or so. Not because I'm having issues, but I want to practice before I build a Core 2 Duo/Quad gaming system and water cool that.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:43 pm

If you have high ambient heat problems, then consider a "refrigerated" PC case such as the VapoChill model.
It isn't so much that ambient temps cause havoc with PC cooling, it is the idea that not enough air is moving THROUGH the case to effect the desired results. Some improvised ducting to allow fresh air to be directed to certain devices will result in lowered temps.
Water cooling has merits in that it totally moves the excess heat from the case. There also is heat-pipe cooling, which is also very effective but the heat is only moved to a short distance from the source.. and is still within the case. Water cooling can be very effective, and a lot quieter than many fans.. if you mount the radiator unit outside the case on the top. There are some cases that are intended for water cooling, and have most of the components included.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Theonejrs » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:29 am

To All,
I just discovered something very interesting about the Zalman 9500LED. For all the hooting and hollering about how good it is, it has one serious flaw when used in a dusty environment as we have here in the so called high desert of California. the circular design traps dust and dirt very easily, starting at the bottom of the V in the fins. The air pressure crams the dirt in tighter and tighter until the temps start to go up. It's also a major pain to clean as there is no real way to do it with it installed. Even then it's a major pain to do! Anyone who has ever installed one on a socket 478 or 775 knows what I mean!

I had it replaced once by Zalman as the temps had gotten to the point of 60C+. When the new one came I happened to have an Arctic Freezer 7 on hand for a customer build, so having a lot of time on my hands I decided to do a real world test between the 2 of them on my D-940. After reading all the tests from Tom's and Anandtec I expected the Zalman to win out, what with all that copper hanging out. Wrong!!! The Arctic outcooled it by 5C at every level of performance in my rig. The Arctic's straight through design is much easier to keep clean down to the point of popping off the fan (litterally a snap), removing the cooler, dunking it in some soapy dishwater and rinsing under the faucet. I could do all that before I could even get the 9500 out of the computer. I no longer have to remove the PS to remove the cooler which is a huge bonus. The second bonus is that the Arctic is much quieter. The final bonus is that most times, the Arctic is less than half the price of the 9500. I now use the Arctic Freezer series in all my builds now as it's just plain flat and simply better all around!

Just thought I would pass this information on!

Happy Computering,
theonejrs
Theonejrs
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Previous

Return to Overclockers Anonymous