Asus M2N-sli deluxe unable to overclock

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Asus M2N-sli deluxe unable to overclock

Postby Ender1183 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:41 pm

I thought it would have been easier then it turned out.
To start off here are my specs:

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe nForce 570
OCZ GameXStream 600W Power Supply
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Orleans
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB DDR2 800
Antec Performance I P180

I got my setting at:

CPU configuration:
CPU frequency 218
DDR2 Voltage control 2.15
CPU voltage 1.525

Chipset:
CPU<-> MCP55 HT speed 4X

Cpuz show it at 2.61

It seems like a lot of people are having trouble getting over the 220 fbs hump. Every time I have tried to get over 220 fsb I keep getting a response that my computer failed to post and ask if I want to go back into the bios and change anything.

Someone suggested that I set my pci speed to 66 but haven't been able to find this setting in bios and don't even know if that would help.

I have also lock my pci-e at 100.

I seems like you have to be lucky to be able to overclock well with this board and just about every review for every brand has had troble overclocking with the nforce 570 chipset... PDT_Armataz_01_02
Ender1183
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby ajrox » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:23 am

i had the same problem with my opteron165. here is what i did to get 290 FSB from the stock 200. yes 290!!!!
you need to lock the memory bus. in the area of the BIOS where you configure the FSB { overclocking} will be a setting to lock the PCI/PCIe bus. it might also say something about the memory bus as well.
you need to enable this. it simply keeps the memory from over clocking, as well as the other buses.
be aware that not every CPU will OC like this. i just happened to read an article on these forums about this particular CPU. also memory comes into play. you are most certainly pushing the tolerances of all the componants of your computer when you OC. memory seems to be the weak point of an OCed system. i would prefer to OC the mcpoopy out of my CPU and keep tighter timings on my memory.
speaking of memory, i was using OCZ EL platinum series pc 4800. reeeeeaaaaaly expensive, yet was holding my system back. it simply couldnt handle the instability of my system. so i locked the memory bus and put the mem timimgs back {2-2-2-5}. now it OCs like a mad man. i have since exchanged the memory for some GEILL memory that runs cooler so over all it might help with system stability as the OCZ runs smokin hot EVEN with a fan and fabricated shroud to cover and channel the air flow.
i of course do not keep it OCed like that. i typically run it at 250 or 275 FSB. i get an assload of performance and it is completely stable on air. temps hit about 40C on load and 31C at idle.
i plan on adding an asus A8N sli this weekend. i hope it still OCs like ths.
i am adding an EVGA 7600GS 20 pipes with the 7800GT core. supposedly OCs like a madman as well. or the mobo and video card will throw my system outta wack and it wont OC at all. it happens man, you just got to be ready bro and make the best of what you have. it also helps you trouble shoot the build when you pay very close attention to what your doing and keep excellent record of what you have done and how you got it to do what it is, that its doing.
anyway, sorry for the rammbling here....
good luck,
]AJ
ps... post back your results or PM me for some more diretion.....
coming soon to an over clockers dream near you:
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
3X EVGA 8800gts video cards
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
PS... im gonna break 4ghz easily....
ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ajrox » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:27 am

oh yeah, i did not fool with any other setting except for locking the other buses. that is the trick for me. put all the other setting back where they were. like the HTT multiplier and its respective speed. voltages as well, should be at stock. then OC it. then make your adjustments.
AJ
coming soon to an over clockers dream near you:
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
3X EVGA 8800gts video cards
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
PS... im gonna break 4ghz easily....
ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:32 pm

Welcome to Motherboards.org!
The best way to do over-clocking is by getting memory that is faster than the 'stock' rating. If you overclock a 200 Mhz bus by only 10 Mhz, that means a 20 Mhz jump on the memory bus speed, and a 40 Mhz jump on the final FSB speed. The memory cannot tolerate much above its rating, so using a higher-speed memory would work. Or, follow the tip posted by ajrox.
But beware, the CPU has an internal cache memory, and it runs at either half-speed or full-speed of the final bus. The CPU itself may tolerate well the overclocking, but the cache memory may fail at higher speeds.. this is the reason for the CPU being "locked" to a specific speed and voltage. One CPU may work well at higher than normal speeds, but others may not.
I run my P4 Prescott 2.8 at a slight OC rate, but I use PC3500 memory instead of the stock PC3200 variety. Absolutely solid at 210 Mhz!

BTW.. please post a topic only once.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Ender1183 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:07 am

Well for some reason i was able to get over 220. I think its has something to do with turning on "Qfan" or what ever that setting is(at work cant check). I’m wondering if this is why just about everyone has been unable to get over 220.

Here is where I am at
[img=http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/7843/cpuzie5.th.png]

Everything is just about at stock. For some reason i have to set the voltage to 1.5 in bios for the CPU but as you can see it only shows up at 1.4 I have read a lot of people say that asus doesn’t apply the voltages right....

Also i had to set my HT to 3X instead of 4X because it wouldn’t take the over clock otherwise. Will this have large effect on performance?

I was able to get 230 but it wasn’t stable when running some tests. Will raising the cpu voltage or any other voltage help?
Ender1183
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:51 am

It is best to not raise the CPU core voltage, as excessive heat will be produced. The core voltage may also be the source for the on-die cache memory, and can cause stability problems.
When the CPU begins life, it is part of a large wafer that is etched, doped, dyed and laminated into perhaps 100~1000 individual cores. That wafer is then cut so each CPU core is separate, and is then mounted into a reciever which becomes the finished processor. Upon wiring all connections, the CPU is tested for its performance, and the dominant factor is stability. Each CPU may be intended for a 3.5 Ghz outcome, but few earn that grade. Most will fall somewhat below that, some will not be viable at all and must be discarded. The cache may have intent of a 1 Mb level, but may be disabled in part to a minimal of 128 Kb which is totally stable. Same too with any HT feature or dual-core feature. The bottom line is profit, and whatever number of units from the master "pie" can be sold, that is what counts. But the CPU must be stable and accurate as a first concern. Once the base factor is established, then certain pins on the CPU are bridged to act as "switches" to set the mobo variables for FSB, ratio, core voltage and other features.
Almost any CPU may tolerate well the over-clocking speed.. but it is the cache memory which is siamesed to the CPU and FPU that determines its final outcome. http://www.cpushack.com/MakingWafers.html shows a brief of how a CPU "core" is made.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby TouGe » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:31 pm

I had a horrible time trying to OC my 4000+ using the AM2 M2N SLI Deluxe MoBo. I finally gave up after talking with a couple of people who had similar experiences with this MoBo and stepped up to the CrossHair Mobo, although the MoBo above the M2N is just as good of an OCer. With the 590 chipset I was able to achieve a stable 300 MHz CPU frequency but settled for 270 MHz x 10x with a 1080 MHz hypertransport frequency.
From what I understand the problem you are having is related to the capacitors on the MoBo and whether or not a BIOS upgrade would fix this issue was not clear at the time.
TouGe
Initiate
Initiate

OC

Postby Theonejrs » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:45 pm

Karlsweldt,
I run my P4 Prescott 2.8 at a slight OC rate, but I use PC3500 memory instead of the stock PC3200 variety. Absolutely solid at 210 Mhz!

I've been running my P-4 3.0/800 (S 478) Prescott at a solid 240MHz for about 8 months now, using a Zalman 9500LED cooler with Corsair XMS Cas2 PC3200 memory. This is on an Asus P4P800-SE motherboard. I had a 2.8/533 but I never tried to OC it.

I currently have a D-940 3.2GHz running at 238MHz with the same memory on an Asus P5P800-SE motherboard with an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro. Both run just fine!

Happy Computering,
theone
Theonejrs
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: OC

Postby Sabrewings » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:44 am

Theonejrs wrote:I've been running my P-4 3.0/800 (S 478) Prescott at a solid 240MHz for about 8 months now, using a Zalman 9500LED cooler with Corsair XMS Cas2 PC3200 memory. This is on an Asus P4P800-SE motherboard.

I've been running a P4 3.0C S478 Northwood at 3.6Ghz on air for nearly 3 years now. :wink:

Welcome to the forum by the way.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Theonejrs » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:19 am

Sabrewings,
Good to be here!
I've been running a P4 3.0C S478 Northwood at 3.6Ghz on air for nearly 3 years now.

I wish I could find a 3.4 S478 Northwood to replace the Prescott, that had a reasonable price tag. The Prescott will run at 4.0 but room temp becomes an issue, even with the Zalman, here in the High Desert! What cooler do you use? I've considered water but just the thought of water running around inside my computer, makes me nervous.

I'm fairly new to overclocking, although I've been building PCs since 89. I took a breather from computers for about 3 years because I just got burned out on them. I didn't start overclocking until about 2 years ago with the Prescott so I have a lot to learn. I know the Conroe is King of the Hill but I want to build an Opteron 185 and see what I can do with it. At $415 (USD) for the 185, I'm very tempted to do one next.

Thanks again for the welcome!

Happy Computering,
theone
Theonejrs
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Next

Return to Overclockers Anonymous