Question about Pentium D 805

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Question about Pentium D 805

Postby mattr33 » Thu May 11, 2006 2:38 am

I just got done reading this article from over at Tom's Hardware. Needless to say I think my jaw was on the floor the entire time I was reading this.

From reading the article, it appears that with just the knowledge of how to change settings in the BIOS, someone could easily run the FSB up to 180Mhz and have it zooming along at 3.60GHz with just stock cooling and normal DDR2 memory.

I'm just amazed that this inexpensive chip can perform so well.

So I guess my question is this. Did Tom's Hardware just happen upon a great batch of chips that this could be done to? I read a similar article from from MB's Industry News & Reviews here. They were only able to get to a FSB of 190MHz (Tom's was able to get to 200MHz). Different batch of chips?

Matt
ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe MB
AMD 64 X2 4200+ Socket AM2
Corsair TWIN2X2048 2GB Kit DDR2-800
Cooler Master Centurion Black Case
SFC Silent SF-650 2.0 650W PS
Plextor PX-760A 18X DL DVD±RW
2 x Caviar WD 250GB SATA Drives
eVGA Geforce 7900GT KO 256MB
mattr33
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby onthagrind » Fri May 12, 2006 6:59 pm

I dont think so. in my issue that i recieved in the mail from CPU they overclocked the same processor to 4.05ghz with watercooling . so i guess not.
onthagrind
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby drogon » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:58 pm

yeah, I just bought this cpu....but I can't overclock it yet. My ati xpress 200 motherboard doesn't have ANY overclocking settings (I really should flash the bios one of these days) and it runs hot. I have noticed that the ATI xpress 200 motherboards (or at least the 2 I have had) have fun the cpu hotter then other motherboards. I'm idling about 48C and I can't get my temp software running, so I'm not overclocking it yet.
drogon

Postby swtguy » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:10 pm

I got mine with a freebie ecs ati xpress 200 mb from frys. Even with this pos mb I have it running at 3.5ghz stable with the stock cooler. Once i change mbs and buy the right block for my wc setup for this chip i dont see why it wont hit near 4ghz as well. For $105 u cant beat it
swtguy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby drogon » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:55 pm

I got the same thing, and I just found the overclocking section in the bios (I need to look harder next time) Artic Silver 5 works wonders. I'm at 3ghz on the stock cooler, just because I don't want to clock it too high yet. I'm at about 42 degress C doing normal desktop stuff (watching anime, surfing the web, and chatting to friends)
drogon

Re: Question about Pentium D 805

Postby Sabrewings » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:55 am

mattr33 wrote:So I guess my question is this. Did Tom's Hardware just happen upon a great batch of chips that this could be done to? I read a similar article from from MB's Industry News & Reviews here. They were only able to get to a FSB of 190MHz (Tom's was able to get to 200MHz). Different batch of chips?

Doubtful. A lot of things will affect your OC. Specifically the motherboard being the primary factor. Did they use the same mobo?
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Overclockers Anonymous