overclocking opteron 165

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

overclocking opteron 165

Postby ashikamlani » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:14 pm

hi guys i would like some help please. Im new to the computer building/overclocking scene, so i was wondering if anyone could guide me through overclocking an opteron 165, as im considering getting one. Please bear in mind that i am relatively new to all this. :wink:
Can you please tell me the pro's/con's of overclocking the opteron

thanks guys
New Builder :)
Possible first system:
Asus A8N-SLi premium
Opteron 165 or 3800 X2
Dunno about RAM
Evga 7800GT (factory overclock)
Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
Hiper 580W Modular PSU
ashikamlani
Initiate
Initiate

Postby lilpaki » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:37 am

like i said earlier get a good board, good psu and good ram. im not to sure on ram and psu, but i do kno that dfi are pretty much the best when it comes to overclocking and motherboards. pros of overclocking are the obvious increase in performance. the cans are more heat generated, and if not controlled proerly can damage the life of the proccessor. also overclocking voides the warranty. however ull be mad to buy this chip and not plan to overclock lol. in this forum there is a thread with a step by step guide on overclocking so give that a read. also look around the web. there are loads of people sharing their experinces on their overclock of their opteron on dfi boards. iv got a opteron 146 overclocked to 2.8ghz. im please except dissapointed on the mother board. iv got a asus a8n sli, and feel with a dfi i could get it to 2.9-3ghz. good luck
to build or not to build,
that is the question?
lilpaki
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ashikamlani » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:28 am

ok thanks, but how do i go about overclocking the processor?
New Builder :)
Possible first system:
Asus A8N-SLi premium
Opteron 165 or 3800 X2
Dunno about RAM
Evga 7800GT (factory overclock)
Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
Hiper 580W Modular PSU
ashikamlani
Initiate
Initiate

Postby lilpaki » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:22 pm

bios is the best place to start. first of find the max fequency of the ram by increasing the fsb slowly, decresing the cpu multiplier, and loosening the timimgs. once you found the limit of tour ram you can set up the right divider when needed. i kno this sound alien to you, and will be hard to understand when you see the bios ( becuase the dfi has loads of options, thus making it good). i havnt got a dfi so cant really help you too much. wait for more expericenced overclockers to give their quides
to build or not to build,
that is the question?
lilpaki
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby onthagrind » Fri May 12, 2006 7:09 pm

hey man im considering the same processor for overclocking and im new to the overclocking scene too. go here http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/di ... n-165.html[url]this is a opteron 165 review once you read this it will make you a believer in overcloking. trust me[/url]
onthagrind
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to Overclockers Anonymous