overclocking a Shuttle AK31 with 1700XP

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

overclocking a Shuttle AK31 with 1700XP

Postby davy » Sun May 26, 2002 9:36 pm

I'd like to slightly overclock my shuttle to FSB 140 (I've heard that they're rather unstable after around 145 and up). I've got DDR 2100 RAM and wonder if all I have to do is change the FSB too 140, or if I have to have 2400 DDR RAM or change the voltage settings. I'm a newbie at the overclocking stuff, so any direction/help would be appreciated!!! :?
davy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby datektrader21 » Sun May 26, 2002 10:06 pm

when upping your fsb do it slowly go from 133 to 136 and then reboot and go into windows and run some programs to test for stability. if all is good go back out and up it by one or two more. keep repeating these steps till the computer becomes unstable, then up the voltage by a very small amount. this should help stabilize the computer. and your set. just make sure to watch your Temp. what brand of ddr ram do you have? most will take the extra fsb with no problems so buying a stick of pc2400 would probably just be a waste of money. so if 140fsb is all you want it should not be a problem getting there. you may not even need to up the voltage. also if you overclock to high and your computer will not boot up just unplug the computer open the case and clear the BIOS using the provided jumper, details should be in your manual. a good program to monitor all your hard ware is motherboard monitor if you follow the intructions its very easy to set up.Image
also here is a review showing just how much your board actualy can overclockshuttle ak31
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Aibohphobia » Sun May 26, 2002 10:29 pm

You can check your stick of ram to see what ns rating the CAS level you are running uses. If it is Crucial or Corsair or a name brand it probably will overclock well.
Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog!
A man, a plan, a butt tub: anal Panama!
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby andrey » Sun May 26, 2002 11:41 pm

Ive managed to overclock my shuttle Ak31 to 143 or so actually, but ive tweaked the RAM settings as well.

watch the temperatures, and you can probably do one big jump to 140, should be fine. if it doesn't boot, then you can use the CMOS reset jumper on the board :).

I would also increase the voltage by half a volt (.5, or two jumps on the Shuttle BIOS) just to make sure it's getting enough juice. be warned, the temperatures will go up.

let us know if you have any problems!
________
buy silver surfer vaporizer
Last edited by andrey on Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby len444 » Tue May 28, 2002 10:44 am

:arrow: i've had my ak31v3.1 w/ amd xp1500+ overclocked (briefly, as in less than 15 minutes- just sufficient to check out benchmarks), and had the fsb up to 148mhz, also increased the core cpu voltage slightly- had to boot up by doing the reset button, after that it seemed ok. you should be able to get 145+mhz fsb no problem- just make certain that you've got good case cooling, as well as good cpu cooling. you should raise the fsb only first w/o raising the voltage, until you get some instability, then raise the voltage incrementally- i still had to do the reset button routine, even after raising voltages of cpu and memory?!?!?!

i've got 2 sticks 256meg cas 2.5 ddr (crucial), also did some bios, and memory tweaks to squeeze as much performance out of the system (good to do regardless of overclock or not).
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to Overclockers Anonymous