SuperPi Challenge

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Peanya
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Post by Peanya »

Oh yea, look at my last pi run again, I changed the pic :twisted:
I changed my BIOS to an older one which is much much better. So I got a better overclock very easy... And I hit my goal of where I wanted to be!
Oylpann
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Post by Oylpann »

Peanya wrote:Oh yea, look at my last pi run again, I changed the pic :twisted:
I changed my BIOS to an older one which is much much better. So I got a better overclock very easy... And I hit my goal of where I wanted to be!

Looks like you'll be in the top spot for awhile. Nice OC and SuPi time! Grats!
"You cant hug your family with Nuclear Arms"

Asus F2A85-V Pro
AMD A10-5800K APU @ 4.5GHz
8GB G. Skill 1866
550w PSU
Hyper 212 Evo
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Post by Twisty »

Peanya wrote:Oh yea, look at my last pi run again, I changed the pic :twisted:

I see you dropped the voltage back down to 1.4V. It seems with the AMD more potential=more heat but no more go.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Peanya
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Post by Peanya »

Actually I had to bump the voltage to 1.6. I wasn't expecting it'd take that much, but I still have good temps, so I'm not too worried. CPUz will always report 1.4V as my board doesn't have an output for the core voltage except at the uGURU level. If I only could get that speed with 1.4....
My mention of stable results wasn't directed at anyone in particular, but that it can be easily done.
Oylpann
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Post by Oylpann »

Mines stable! I didnt change a thing. :lol:
"You cant hug your family with Nuclear Arms"

Asus F2A85-V Pro
AMD A10-5800K APU @ 4.5GHz
8GB G. Skill 1866
550w PSU
Hyper 212 Evo
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Post by Tulatin »

Just shy of 32 seconds here, suicide run really. Rules state that it's just gotta make the run and the screenie after, i'll include state (stable/unstable) in the table)Image
tedybear
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Post by tedybear »

Ok, gave this one a shot. Keeping in mind everything in this system is run at stock speeds. (and I've not a clue how to post up a screenshot LOL...so I'm not gonna bother)

51.031s @ 1M

Now this system has the cool and quiet running, so any screen shot of the cpu info would be severely 'underclocked' (as I turned off folding for this test)

But normally when the CPU's at full bore?

Core Speed: 1808.3 MHz
Multiplier: x9.0
HTT: 200.9 MHz

Using 1gig of RoseWill super cheapo' memory (512x2)

Would the 51.03 be an 'ok' number, given this is not overclocked? I've had this rig O/C'd to about 11% or so, but that's as far as the MSI 'corecenter' would allow under windows for adjusting. (could probably go much higher then 11%, as the temps did'nt even flinch while I was playing with it)

S-
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Post by Twisty »

tedybear wrote:Ok, gave this one a shot. Keeping in mind everything in this system is run at stock speeds. (and I've not a clue how to post up a screenshot LOL...so I'm not gonna bother)

51.031s @ 1M

Now this system has the cool and quiet running, so any screen shot of the cpu info would be severely 'underclocked' (as I turned off folding for this test)

Cool and quiet on my machine just reduces the voltage to the fans when the CPU temp drops down enough and does not effect the clock speed. Am I getting this wrong?

But normally when the CPU's at full bore?

Core Speed: 1808.3 MHz
Multiplier: x9.0
HTT: 200.9 MHz

Using 1gig of RoseWill super cheapo' memory (512x2)

Would the 51.03 be an 'ok' number, given this is not overclocked?

Thats 10s (25%) longer than my 3200 10% OC'd so possibly a little long but does not sound too bad. I do have low latency ram as well.

I don't think this test fills up the L2 cache (really old code) so the clawhammer with the lower clock speed and larger L2 cache is at a disadvantage.

I've had this rig O/C'd to about 11% or so, but that's as far as the MSI 'corecenter' would allow under windows for adjusting. (could probably go much higher then 11%, as the temps did'nt even flinch while I was playing with it)

S-

I never OC using the windows interface anyway, its best done from the BIOS.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
tedybear
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Post by tedybear »

I should have explained more me thinks.

Cool & Quiet on this rig works with MSI's core-center. When the CPU's load and demand are low/idle the system kicks the multiplier from x9 to x5, and takes the vcore at the cpu from about 1.38 to just a hair over 1.00. The result is a drop of the CPU temp which is dramatic. With no folding in the backround, basic functions only? The CPU temp will actually match, and can be sometimes slightly lower then the system/mobo temp. But as the CPU load goes up? The core-center kicks the multiplier up to meet the challenge. It's interesting to see how it works in tandem with the cool & quiet in the bios, if I enable the speed fan control in bios. It's also cute how it's possible to run this thing with the cpu fan running at just under 1,000 RPM..and as the cpu temp increases under load...how the system will (after it hits a trigger point of 47c) maintain the cpu's fan to hold the temp at 40c. The result of course is a quieter fan. I perfer to not use this part however. I'm not worried about the noise factor (I've got an HP computer next to this one, with a modified 80-HSF unit, and a 120 fan temp controled in the rear of that case. I dropped the cpu folding temp from 58c down to 42c..but it's a bit loud.)

That's why I was wondering about the results being fully "accurate". When I shut down folding and run the test the system has a very slight 'lag' as the core-center kicks the multiplier to x9 from x5. I re-did the test after boosting the FSB by 11% and it knocked about 4 seconds off the time.

I'm very new to overclocking, and as a rule I really don't get into it much. "hip-national-bank" (aka wallet) spent about $700 on parts for this rig..and if I make a boo-boo while overclocking I'll wind up on my better halfs old HP machine (ewww).

Best Regards

S-