Which jumper setting to change??

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Which jumper setting to change??

Postby jmstacey » Sat May 25, 2002 8:03 pm

I'm a new one at overclocking, so here goes.
I have the Asus P4t533-c mobo. After studying their jumper settings online for quite awhile I finally figured out what settings the jumpers should be at.
http://www.asus.com/mb/socket478/p4t533-c/jumper.htm
Okay, assume now that I have a 1.6A Ghz processor. So DSW switches 1-4 and 6-10 should be:
ON;ON;ON;OFF and ON;OFF:ON;ON;ON

Now then, do I want to change any of these to overclock it? If so, which ones? Otherwise I do it all through the Bios??
Thanks alot!!
-Jon-
jmstacey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Tolemac » Sat May 25, 2002 9:00 pm

That is the correct jumper setting for a 16X and 100MHz FSB. Now you go into the BIOS and adjust the FSB up above 100MHz for the CPU only so that you don't overclock the RAM and AGP and PCI as well. Try it in baby steps and reboot in between and run some good benchmarking progs to see if it is stable. If it is, go for some more and keep repeating these steps until it becomes unstable. Then you can try upping the Vcore a little and then see if it stays stable. If so, then there you are and you have overclocked your system. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby jmstacey » Sat May 25, 2002 10:01 pm

WHat and where can I download/run these benchmarking utilities?
-Jon-
jmstacey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby jmstacey » Sat May 25, 2002 10:12 pm

OH yeah... Do this benchmark programs also tell me what speed my computer is after I've been running it for awhile becuse Peter Taylor said:
Well the good thing about P4's is you can't burn them up. I believe that even without a heatsink the cpu runs without frying. Whenever it starts to get hot however, the mhz of the cpu lowers and can go down until your in 486 territory.

Thanks!
-Jon-
jmstacey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Tolemac » Sun May 26, 2002 12:51 am

You can use the free standard version of SiSoft SANDRA and the free version of PCMark from MadOnion. Just follow the directions, and you'll be right. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Overclockers Anonymous