Overclocking my Duron with the "Pencil Trick"

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Overclocking my Duron with the "Pencil Trick"

Postby pilot40874 » Thu May 23, 2002 1:05 pm

Hello all!

From what I've heard an AMD Duron seems to be able to run quite well at 900-950Mhz. What's the best procedure (given my motherboards limited FSB to overclock this chip? I believe my KT133 chipset only supports 100FSB, so although I do have a jumper on my FIC AZ31 (OEM version "UWAVE") motherboard, I don't think switching over to a 133Mhz FSB speed is what I want to do.

I found this technique referred to as the "Pencil Trick", but what about core voltage and my power supply? How do I change these as well?

I've never tried doing any of this before and I'm a newbie. I don't want to burn up my machine, but if I could get more speed for nearly free, I'll take it.

All comments welcome!

Thanks
Compaq Presario 5WV254 (FIC AZ31 motherboard, OEM version)
AMD Duron 700Mhz - stock clock
VIA Apollo KT133/686A chipset
nVidia GeForce4 Ti4200
250w pcu
yada, yada, yada....
pilot40874
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Aibohphobia » Fri May 24, 2002 2:05 am

okay some tips:
it's pretty hard to fry a computer without touching it, just keep an eye on system temps if your motherboard supports it.
to get the frequency of the cpu chip, multiply the FSB mhz by the multiplier set on the cpu, which I'm guessing your Duron 700mhz is 7x multiplier since a 100mhz fsb. You say your board is an OEM board? Check in BIOS to see if there are voltage, multiplier, and fsb modifiers there. If so, or you can modify some by jumpers on board, then yes, do the 'pencil trick' and now you have unlocked all multipliers of the cpu, so you say you want to try running at an FSB of 133mhz? An FSB of 133mhz means that your entire front-side-bus--ram, pci, isa slots, cpu--are running at higher frequencies. You may have to upgrade ram to pc133, or replace a pci device to get at such a high frequency.
But, if you can, then change your multiplier to 5.5 and change the FSB to 133, reboot and see if it works. This will make you running at 731.5mhz cpu. from there it is trial-and-error, of running the cpu at a higher multiplier and voltage until you reach its peak. Make sure you keep eye on temps, as if it was previously running hot @ 60*C or near there, upping the voltage would make it run even hotter, which is dangerous and could FRY.
Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog!
A man, a plan, a butt tub: anal Panama!
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby datektrader21 » Fri May 24, 2002 1:40 pm

actually just unlock your multiplier using the pencil trick then just set your multiplier to 9.5 to obtain the 950mhz speed. this way you avoid bumping up your fsb causing stress to your PCI, AGP and memory. causing system instability and even permanent damage to board. as for upping the voltage be careful when doing that and only up it by the smallest amount needed as each increase in voltage pushes your CPU a little harder and can cause it to burn up. Do this only if you have stability problems. this also decreases the life span of your CPU. Again since your board is OEM it may not support these options so you may be out of luck. If you do find your self out of luck you can pick up a new kt133,kt266,kt266a board that supports these features for a relatively low price.
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

What about this.....?

Postby pilot40874 » Fri May 24, 2002 1:59 pm

The OEM board doesn't have any jumpers on it to control the voltage. :(
Also the BIOS that comes on the Compaq machine doesn't let you modify ANYTHING. Am I out of luck. I thought that the pencil trick would allow you to set both the clockspeed and the voltage directly on the chip? Would this eliminate the need to do anything with the BIOS? What about finding the orginal FIC AZ31 factory supplied BIOS and loading that into the CMOS? (Hell, I barely know what I'm talking about, but I'm just throwing out some ideas!)

Just a retired Lockheed Engineer who's bored and wants to get more bang for his buck out of his Compaq Presario!

Appreciate any advice!

Thanks all!!
nVidia GeForce4 Ti4200
250w pcu
yada, yada, yada....
pilot40874
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Aibohphobia » Fri May 24, 2002 11:20 pm

Nope, the pencil trick simply allows the multiplier to be adjusted, no actual change. There is hope yet! Look in to CPUCOOL, http://www.podien.onlinehome.de/CPUCOOL.HTM , and use the instructions there on obtaining the PLL of your board. From there you may be able to up your FSB, and maybe multiplier :?: , but not core voltage. Look here for information on core voltage modification, but watch out, it's not for the faint of heart http://www.motherboards.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=193 .
Upping your FSB, if it says it has jumper for 133mhz, should not incur damage on any of the parts as it should adjust to the proper divisions to keep the pci frequencies in the right spot--however this you will have to look in to your manual about :wink: . One thing that may need to be upgraded is the Ram, check your ram to see if it meets PC133 qualifications.

Anything to do with Compaq can probably be handled by Hardware Junkie alone though.
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby atang1 » Sat May 25, 2002 1:49 am

CPUfsb and Softfsb can be used for a quick overclocking job. Look up "Overclocking the easy way" in the Dr. Overclock threads.

Does you FIC Compaq OEM board come with FIC AMI bios? If it is not Compaq bios; go with FIC site info.

Compaq has been auctioning off many of these OEM boards and cpus on Ubid?
atang1

Now wait a minute....????

Postby pilot40874 » Sat May 25, 2002 11:08 am

\\\\\"...Nope, the pencil trick simply allows the multiplier to be adjusted, no actual change. ..."\\\\\

Am I just reading the following article wrong, or is it possible using the L1, L7, L3 and L4 pins on a Duron process to set BOTH core voltage and clockspeed???? It sure seems like you can.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q3/000711/index.html
nVidia GeForce4 Ti4200
250w pcu
yada, yada, yada....
pilot40874
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Aibohphobia » Sat May 25, 2002 12:49 pm

It seems.. I never thought of fiddling with the other L bridges.. Ya might as well try it out and tell us what you find out? I was just not thinking that your board could support 1.85v..
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Overclockers Anonymous