I seek the wisdom of Mobo-Fu...

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

I seek the wisdom of Mobo-Fu...

Postby glitch2much » Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:29 pm

First here are my specs:
AthlonXP 2200+ w/Volcanoe 7+/Artic Silver 3, Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum, 2 512mb sticks Samsung PC2700 ECC, GeForce 4 Ti4600, 2 Maxtor Diamondmax 7200rpm 40gb Hdd using RAID 0(Striping). Have Enermax Server Case w/430w dual fan PS, 4 Thermaltake Smartfans, Vantec Hdd coolers, and Thermaltake active memory cooling kit(not installed yet).

New to O/C and need advice. AthlonXP rated 1.79ghz out of box. Have toyed with 1mhz stepping in bios and have clocked as high as 1.86ghz(seemed a little unstable after that[screen would flicker for a sec at startup]). Problem is I did this while my dram freq was at 133mhz. When I change it to 166mhz I can only raise the stepping a few mhz above default(133mhz) for fear it will damage the ram if I run it too high above 333mhz. Runs at approx 340mhz now. This only gives me 1.83ghz of processor power. Is there a way I can squeeze any more performance out of this machine without frying it in the process?

P.S. CPU runs at approx 39-40 degrees C Idle. Chasis is a cool 32.
glitch2much
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tolemac » Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:56 am

You are going to have to play with the FSB and the DRAM specs to see what you can get out of it. It's mainly trial and error. Go with a lower DRAM setting first and see what FSB you can get with the RAM at default settings. Put that active cooling on the ram as it definitely helps. After you've achieved a good overclock with just the FSB and it's stays stable, then try changing the DRAM setting ONE AT A TIME! Nice and easy and make sure you write down what steps you are doing so you don't repeat anything unnecessarily. After each change, test the system with SiSoft and see what you get and how it reacts. It will take some time to do this, but it will be worth it once you've maxed it out. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Overclockers Anonymous