My 900mhz was faster than this!

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

My 900mhz was faster than this!

Postby gigaweak » Wed May 15, 2002 9:25 pm

help!

I just fired up a new gigabyte 7xrp and my test scores are very weak.

specs:
gigabyte 7xrp
athlon xp 2100
512 mb pc 2700 ddr ram
2-60 gb seagate ata 100 hdds-raid 0
ati radeon 8500dv (64 mb)-not a big gamer-needed more for video editing

pc mark 2002 scores
cpu 3873
mem 2720
hdd 705

I also used performance test

score-245
mflops-650

Every system I compare to kicks my butt. Can anyone help me with some things to check out. I have overclocked using gigabyte's utility but do not get much improvement. Am I crazy or do these scores seem low for this system? I know my cpu is running in the mid 50's C and I will address this asap-although I am using volcano 7 and 3 case fans.
I can't touch the processor/heat sink or it will void my warranty. So do I send this board back or will better cooling fix the problems?
gigaweak
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Thu May 16, 2002 4:41 am

Download the latest SiSoft Sandra, and run through all the tests and even the diagnostic tools. I forget what it's exactly called, but there should be a program that in SiSoft Sandra that goes through your system, and lets you know what you need to do to improve performance. It goes through everything, but all said in done, contains some very good troubleshooting/performance enhancement advice.
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby gigaweak » Thu May 16, 2002 8:29 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I have significantly improved my scores by downloading customizer xp and tweaking my XP settings. I also downloaded a startup manager to get rid of unneeded ram robbers. It think a few more tweaks and some good thermal paste and I will be all set. Any windows gurus that have a tip or two it would be appreciated.
gigaweak
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby timmib » Sun May 19, 2002 1:43 pm

tweaking windoze?!! <g>

Couple of things come to mind.

Antivirus, firewalls, and stuff like 'fast find' will steal cycles and/or memory. See if wsloader is being loaded into memory. Wave synth loader sits and steals bits and pieces with no purpose that I can see unless you're into midi stuff.

Don't know xp but with the others, set a minimum size for the swap file so win isn't forever calculating this. Placing the swap file in its own partition or even a compressed volume helps. Too performance may improve if you set the type of machine useage to 'file server'.

Don't have a lot of icons laying around on the desktop. Delete shelliconcache file periodically, same goes for recent, ie history and all the rest of that stuff. Also, if xp allows run scanreg with the /fix and then the /opt switches from the xp's version of 'exit to dos'.

There's more odds and ends ... see if any of this helps.

Be well,

Tim
timmib
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Twisty » Sun May 19, 2002 2:17 pm

Might be worth a visit to your component manufactures websites and seeing if they have any driver updates, motherboard drivers especially.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Twisty » Sun May 19, 2002 2:23 pm

Might be worth a visit to your component manufactures websites and seeing if they have any driver updates, motherboard drivers especially.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to Overclockers Anonymous