CPU L2 Cache Latency

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

CPU L2 Cache Latency

Postby dharbert » Sun Jul 07, 2002 6:22 pm

I have a Celeron 500Mhz PPGA CPU with 128kb L2 cache. The default latency for the L2 cache is 5. Would it speed up processing if I changed the latency to 0? Or would the system be unstable? I am using WCPUID 3.0g to change the L2 cache latency.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
dharbert
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby effika » Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:00 pm

Ummm... somebody jump in here and make sure this isn't wrong, but I don't think you can change things with wcpuid, it just tells you what you have.
effika
Black Belt
Black Belt

i am jumping in.

Postby ratts » Mon Jul 08, 2002 8:26 am

i didn't think you could change anything either in wcpuid. i have it and i thought it was used to give you a reading of your system bus,clock,catche,etc... if you can change things let me know. :lol:
ratts
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby dharbert » Mon Jul 08, 2002 12:16 pm

I have WCPUID 3.0g which I downloaded from http://www.majorgeeks.com

Look at the screenshot on their site. On the menu bar it only has FILE EDIT VIEW HELP. But when I run it, it has FILE EDIT VIEW TWEAKS HELP. So I click on the TWEAKS menu and select Intel L2 Cache Latency. It then comes up with a dialog box that says:

L2 Cache Latency Control
Current L2 Cache Latency: 5
New L2 Cache Latency: [drop list]

From the drop list it lets me select the L2 latency from 0 to 15. And it does work. I fired up SANDRA to find that my default L2 latency is 5. I then changed the L2 latency in WCPUID to 0, refreshed the view in SANDRA, and sure enough the L2 latency had changed from 5 to 0. Maybe it just depends on what OS you're running? (I am running XP Pro)

You might try downloading the version I have from majorgeeks.com to see if it works for you.
dharbert
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Tolemac » Mon Jul 08, 2002 3:59 pm

With a beginning cache latency of 5, I'd drop it down ONE STEP at a time till it gives you trouble and then go back up one step. You might be able to hit 3 or even 2, but you'd be lucky to get below that. Always fully test the system in between steps to make sure you don't get any false readings or surprises. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Overclockers Anonymous