Overclocking and what it means to Dumbasses like me...

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Overclocking and what it means to Dumbasses like me...

Postby BloodyVirus18 » Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:27 pm

I keep hearing you guys talk about overclocking and such. I read somewhere that if you overclock your CPU, it can fry your CPU if you don't have a good cooling system, and makes the life of the CPU go down by half. 8O If this is true, why do you overclock? :?
I couldn't afford a real ATX case, so i made my own out of elmers glue, popsicle sticks, and ducttape:)
BloodyVirus18
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby andrey » Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:31 pm

while it is true that CPU life will go down when components are overclocked, but they are made to last 5-10 years or more. enthusiasts who overclock will probably upgrade their computer by then.

yes, it can fry the CPU if you are not careful and don't watch the temperatures, but if you don't know about watching temps and randomly start doing stuff, then you shouldn't be overclocking in the first place.

why we do it? because its fun (when it works) gives you higher speed for free, and well, gives us something to do :)
________
medical marijuana card
Last edited by andrey on Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby BloodyVirus18 » Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:35 pm

Just outa curiosity, how do you force the CPU to overclock. I am going to build a kickass system, and curious to know how to do it. :?:
I couldn't afford a real ATX case, so i made my own out of elmers glue, popsicle sticks, and ducttape:)
BloodyVirus18
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:44 pm

Overclocking is simply running the parts beyond there designed specs.

IE Celeron 1Ghz normal settings are 100FSB and 10x multiplier.
Put the FSB at 133 and you are now overclocking it to 1.333Ghz.

Just to answer the question of why.....
Ask yourself the same question about people who bungee jump or freefall...or hanglide...sure there is a chance that something could go wrong and you wind up dead...but that is half the fun... :roll:
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ThEvil0nE » Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:50 pm

New_Kidd_on_z_block wrote:I keep hearing you guys talk about overclocking and such. I read somewhere that if you overclock your CPU, it can fry your CPU if you don't have a good cooling system, and makes the life of the CPU go down by half. 8O If this is true, why do you overclock? :?

Hmmmnnn...didn't I explain this overclocking thing on your other thread before :?: And in a dumbass way :idea: LOL. I'll see if I can still locate the thread. I explained it with great enthusiasm and by heart :twisted:

UPDATE:
Here, I found it http://www.motherboards.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2401 :P hehehe
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby BloodyVirus18 » Mon Jul 08, 2002 5:11 pm

Now that my inner-baby knows the great wonders of over clocking, how do i force the cpu to operate at that higher MHz. Is there a specific software that allows me to do that. Or is there like a "Volume control" or a "Choose your Speed" Button on the processor? :roll:
BloodyVirus18
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Jul 08, 2002 5:23 pm

Depends on thge system, but its either in the BIOS or jumpers on the motherboard. Check your manual.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby jmstacey » Mon Jul 08, 2002 5:27 pm

The software you usually use, is called the Bios. Somewhere in the Bios, there should be the option to choose the FSB speed and vcore voltage.
FSB x multiplier = the speed your cpu will be running at.
jmstacey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Overclockers Anonymous