What exactly IS overclocking?

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

What exactly IS overclocking?

Postby Need For Speed » Wed May 15, 2002 4:20 am

Ok - it may be a dumb question. But what exactly is overclocking (I hate to assume I know - you know what assume means). I'm a newbie when it comes to building my own computer (currently researching brands before I jump in). Why would you need to overclock - would it increase performance for gaming or general cpu use, or both? Being a self-proclaimed "dummy" in this area, would I even want to consider it at this stage of infancy? The answers may or may not guide me in my motherboard/ram choice.

Thanks everyone - this forum has been a HUGE help in my "mission to build"! :D
Need For Speed
Initiate
Initiate

Postby atang1 » Wed May 15, 2002 6:46 am

Overcloclocking is you spent your money; now what you really, really, really, really, really got in your computer?

You really have to spend a great deal of time to find out what you really got after you overclocked to the limit yet stable in operating your computer. Stability is intensive computational time span. It is also MTBF(mean time between failure). It is also life expectancy(life shortens with higher temperature, accelerated life test)?

Anyway, some of us enjoy pushing the envelop to the limit. To prove our manhood maybe? Some of us try to get something for nothing, more likely?

Are you having fun?
atang1

Postby MoboCop » Wed May 15, 2002 10:25 am

Atang please do not be so vague when replying. A legitimate question has been asked and deserves a clear answer.

I will give you a basic answer and hopefully Doc or someone else can provide a more detailed explanation.

Overclocking is attempting to increase the performance of your CPU (or gpu in some cases) by tweaking different parameters such as the clock multiplier, the voltage, and others that I am not familiar with.

An example would be Doc overclocking his 2.4Ghz intel P4 to 3.4Ghz.

The plus is you can get a real bang for your buck and better system performance. The minus is the possibility of frying your cpu or having unstable system performance.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby Need For Speed » Wed May 15, 2002 11:16 am

Thanks Mobo...
based on the fact that my computer build is for business use only, I don't think overclocking would be smart or needed in my case. An Abit AT7 board with PC2700, & AMD XP 1800+ should work just fine, wouldn't you think?

Appreciate the info.
Need For Speed
Initiate
Initiate

Postby MoboCop » Wed May 15, 2002 11:30 am

I think you are doing just fine. For me it is simple. Do you notice that you have to wait for things to happen or is your user experience smooth and usually interupted only by your own pauses and mess ups? If that is the case then you should be fine. If you find yourself seeing the hourglass frequently on basic operations then you might consider an upgrade.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby atang1 » Wed May 15, 2002 11:32 am

Philosophical answers by questioning the wisdom of overclocking, does not get slammed?
atang1

Postby MoboCop » Wed May 15, 2002 12:30 pm

I do not agree that asking philosophical questions about a topic is a correct or helpful response when someone knows nothing about the topic.

First they need to know what it is and then you can offer them advice on why or why not it is a good idea.

People are asking questions because they want or need the information.

Please give them a direct answer first and then expand upon it with extra info if you think it is helpful.

I was not trying to slam you Atang I was merely making a request. I run this forum to supply help to people. This help is in the form of information in a format that they can assimilate and understand.

So your method can be useful but should be used only after the initial question is dealt with.

Does this make sense?

Thanks.
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby garand1944 » Wed May 15, 2002 9:39 pm

Atang was right in my case. Overclocking is getting something for nothing. The price difference between a 1.6a and 2.2+ cost me nothing but some quality time with my bios. :P :P

Now I work on overclocking my vid card soon. I can't break 11,000 on 3DMark2001SE without doing it. That is for my manhood. :D
Aqualung my friend --
don't start away uneasy
you poor old sod, you see, it's only me.
garand1944
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to Overclockers Anonymous