Overclocking the easy way?

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby atang1 » Sun May 19, 2002 3:41 am

In defence of myself and Dr. Overclock, overclocking is easy, depends on many tools. Whatever we can lay our hands on.

If you exhasted what the bios can do for you, then these windows program will do wonders for you.

It is easy, if you know that the selection of PLL signal is different in either programs, but they are not critical. I have try many alternatives in available selections. They either work or they don't.

I have Celeron that runs 100 mhz and some only run 90 mhz FSB. CPUfsb works better for me when bios only give me 66 or 100 mhz as a choice.

On newer motherboards, the PLL circuits are finer in bios adjustments, and Dr Overclock would not fool around with CPUfsb or Softfsb. He doesn't have to.

On the other hand, I could email these programmers and ask for some features that bios people missed.

Overclocking the easy way is here to stay.
atang1

Postby atang1 » Sun May 19, 2002 2:13 pm

Legend QDI now updated their utility(frequency convertor) software for their motherboards. The StepEasyII_en.exe has grown from 4.4mb to 7.5 mb.

It is available at http://www.qdgrp.com

This program steps on the frequencies of the cpu and PCI bus by 1 mhz increments. It runs under the windows environment. Within 1 second it can change the cpu frequency. After booting it takes 5 seconds to change back to the normal cpu frequency. But you can automatically set the overclocked cpu frequency each time you boot.

This seems to be the trend for motherboard manucfacturers to write windows programs(some updated their bios to handle the utility program) to make overclock easier for their customers, without changing jumpers or reset bios or opening the computer case.

Check your motherboard manufacturer for their own utility programs for overclocking?
atang1

Postby atang1 » Mon May 20, 2002 7:58 am

So you have an older cpu with a L2 cache that is slower than the cpu? Like PII, PIII, Celeron(no cache, cache on motherboard, does not apply here), Pentium Pro, Athlon, etc.?

Most L2 cache is fixed at 1/2 the speed of the cpu. So if you increase the FSB, your L2 cache will fail.

H. Oda has a software WCPUa2, which can change the L2 cache PLL speed divisor to 1/3. thus allowing the cpu to speed up further, by using SoftFSB to increase the FSB by the difference of 1/2 to 1/3. 0.5/0.33=1.515.

For a 300 mhz cpu you can easily try to overclock to 450 mhz. Or 66 mhz to 100(99.99) mhz FSB?

Both software canbe downloaded at http://www.h-oda.com
atang1

Postby atang1 » Thu May 23, 2002 4:34 am

Now obviously, overclocking the easy way is missing something?

No core voltage support?

There is no core voltage change from any windows programs yet?

See how to change core voltage in another thread on this site?

But then we can change the fan/heatsink to change the cpu temperature to run faster? The theory behind overclocking?

See what there is more to fans? on another thread on this site? And chip cooling that you want to know? In another post?
atang1

Postby datektrader21 » Thu May 23, 2002 6:12 pm

you can change the voltage of your cpu using easytune3 or 4 on a gigabyte board i think. as long as the board itself supports such changes.
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby atang1 » Sat May 25, 2002 11:53 am

While EasytuneIII(v3.3/1.4mb) has much graphics, alas, no core voltage adjustment and it is very similsr to softfsb(197kb).

The beta version of Easytune 4 is now 9.0 mb with plenty of features and graphics. It includes cpu(VID pin assignments)/agp/memory voltages and cpu/agp/pci/memory frequencies(FSB multiples and divisors). It may be limited to Gigabyte motherboards due to the dependancy of Gigabyte bios and the addresses they used in their bios. Some day when the bios addresses are uniformly standardized between the bios manufacturers, one windows program can handle all the motherboards others manufacture as well.

Will it ever happen? Some day to be sure.
atang1

Postby atang1 » Mon May 27, 2002 3:57 am

Did anyone mention VID pinouts for cpu core voltage at Intel website?

Can you use visaul basic and tell your bios what VID pinout should be by the addresses assigned in the bios? Then bios will tell the motherboard what core voltage to set? No, then the windows program will tell the motherboard what core voltage to set?

Alas, you have to have motherboards which has bios switches to neglect the hard wiring on the cpu VID pinouts, and direct the bios to set core voltages on the motherboards.

Next generation of motherboards, same as ABIT Softmen III(bios switching of core voltages) or Gigabyte Easytune4(windows programming of core voltages) compatible motherboards, will have to be designed.

However, you can still cut pins(or insulate) and/ or ground pins using pencil trick on the cpu VID pins to modify the core voltage.
atang1

Previous

Return to Overclockers Anonymous