AMD XP 2000+

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

AMD XP 2000+

Postby richardrfarthing » Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:19 pm

Hi All

Without doing any physical work on my processor, what is the higest speed my CPU can run at, without frying it.

I curently have it up to 1754 (AMD XP 2100+) I guess, I did push it up to XP 2200 speeds but got Window 2000 boot up errors.

I have tried evan to push it above the XP 2200 speeds but I get a General Protection Error when booting off of a device.

Thanks

Richard Farthing
richardrfarthing
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Porphyria » Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:55 pm

Looks like your limit then. If you want it to go any higher, you're going to need better cooling. What mobo, processor, HSF, and case do you have right now?
Kids in a fast lane living for today
No rules to abide by and no one to obey
ID This Quote
Porphyria
Black Belt
Black Belt

Better Cooling

Postby richardrfarthing » Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:37 pm

I currently have a standard upright case with just the power supply and CPU fan (I could put another on the front of the case). The fan on the CPU is a Igloo2400.

The CPU is at 41^, this is not that bad is it.

Richard
richardrfarthing
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Porphyria » Wed Jul 03, 2002 7:45 pm

No, your temps are fairly good. There really is no limit that anyone can say. Just go slowly, and benchmark your computer to test for stability. You could also unlock your CPU with an XP unlocking kit. You will be able to overclock more with this modification. If you are interested in more overclocking than that, you might look into a better HSF combo. The Volcano 7+ is a very good fan with variable speed control. For ultimate performance, try the Thermalright AX-7 coupled with a high air flow fan and some Artic Silver 3 thermal paste. Just remember, go slowly and benchmark in between to find your maximum stable setting.
Kids in a fast lane living for today
No rules to abide by and no one to obey
ID This Quote
Porphyria
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Overclockers Anonymous