first timer...

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

first timer...

Postby wolverineman85 » Tue Jul 02, 2002 8:48 am

CPU = P3 1Ghz
MOTHERBOARD = Intel D820LP?
RAM = 384MB RDRAM...id imagine its PC800
HEATSINK = ??? Whatever came w/ the system
OS = WinXP Pro
POWER SUPPLY = not sure...whatever came w/ the system
VIDEO CARD = Nvidia Geforce 2 GTS/Pro 64 MB
SOUND CARD = SB LIVE! Value
CASE = ??? Dell
OEM SYSTEM = Dell Dimension XPS B1000

How would I go about overclocking my system?
wolverineman85
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Tolemac » Tue Jul 02, 2002 12:53 pm

Not real familiar with that board, but if it's like most of the others, then the same principle applies. You can only change the FSB and not the multiplier, so that is what you will need to adjust to get it overclocked. Go into the BIOS and find where the FSB can be changed at. It should be at 100MHz for that CPU. Increase the FSB in 2 or 3MHz increments making sure to reboot in between adjustments and watch your temps at all times. Run some benchmark apps such as SiSoft SANDRA to see if the system will remain stable with the overclock. If it does, then try for some more. Once it becomes unstable, and if your boards BIOS has it available, adjust the Vcore (core voltage of the CPU) up from it's default setting by 0.25v. Check your system again and if it's still unstable, try going up another 0.25v. If it's stable, then you have done everything right and now have an overclocked system. If it still wants to be unstable, then back the FSB down 2MHz and try again leaving the Vcore where it is. If you achieve stability, then there you are. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby wolverineman85 » Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:10 pm

I cant highlight the things in the BIOS. They seem to be locked. How can i unlock those features?
wolverineman85
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Return to Overclockers Anonymous