New guy needs wisdom!

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

New guy needs wisdom!

Postby Crazycat ^..^ » Mon Jul 01, 2002 4:05 am

Hi Guys,
I have never overclocked anything in my life however I am always striving for greater performance so i figure it's about time I take the plunge. I was wondering if anyone could give me detailed instructions for the overclocking of this system:
-Athlon XP 1700+ CPU
-MSI K7T266Pro Motherboard
-256 MB DDR RAM
-ASUS V7100 64mb GeForce 2 MX
-80mm Volcano 7 CPU Fan
-3 Case fans

-With an Overall idle temperature of a bout 35-40 degrees celsius.

Any help or suggestions on this topic, sites, programs, experiences etc.. would be much appreciated.

Robbie :D
Crazycat ^..^
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tolemac » Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:43 pm

You will need to overclockthis system in the BIOS. Enter the BIOS set up and go into Hardware Monitor Setup. Once there, you need to adjust the CPU FSB CLCK to 133 and then right below that is the CPU/FSB PCI Overclocking setting. Starting at 133MHz, you can now up the FSB in small increments to achieve an overclock. Start with 136MHz FSB and tehn reboot the system. Download the standard version of SiSoft SANDRA if you don't already have it, and run the benchmark tests for CPU and Memory. This will stress the system enough to tell you if it will be stable or not at the new overclock. Always check your temps to make sure it's not running above 55*C.
Once the system proves to be stable, repeat the procedure in 2 or 3 MHz steps till the system shows any signs of instability. When that happens, go back into the BIOS and into Hardware Monitor and then into CPU Ratio/Vcore. This is where you will adjust the core voltage of the CPU to gain more stability. The native Vcore of the XP1700+ is 1.75v. Up this number to 1.775 and then reboot the system. If it still is unstable, then change the Vcore to 1.80 and reboot. It should be stable at this voltage. Even at the high end of most motherboards voltage settings (1.850v) it will not hurt the CPU, but will create more heat, and will eventually wear out the CPU faster than if the Vcore was left alone. Small sacrifice for overclocking in my opinion. If you find that the system stays good and stable at 1.80Vcore and at the FSB you've overclocked it to, you can then see if you can up the FSB some more to see if it will take it. If it does, then you keep pushing till it will not remain stable and then back it off 2MHz and run the benchmark tests again and any other porgram you normally run to see how it holds up. If it stays ok, then you have successfully overclocked your first system! 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Huh?

Postby Crazycat ^..^ » Wed Jul 03, 2002 7:37 pm

I went to change the cpu/fsb overclocking setting you recommended i start at 133 mhz i could up the fsb in small increments. Do you mean the cpu fsb or the cpu/fsb pci overclock setting? Also the lowest setting for the cpu/fsb pci overclock setting is 134/33.8 is is it ok on this? Does it need to be lower and does it ever need to be changed?
Crazycat ^..^
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tolemac » Fri Jul 05, 2002 12:06 pm

I do indeed mean the CPU FSB/PCI setting. Try not to have the PCI go above 40MHz as you are then overclocking everything that is on the mobo attached to the PCI slots. Not a good idea! Some of the thing in the slots may take offense and fail to work. If it has it set up in the BIOS so that you can change the FSB independantly, then do so. Otherwise, go as high as you can without going over the 40MHz limit for the PCI slots.
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Overclockers Anonymous