Newbie needs alittle advice.

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Newbie needs alittle advice.

Postby bob08 » Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:59 am

I have just put together a little system using the ECS K7SEM motherbaord and an AMD Duron 700mhz unlocked processer, how would I go about overclocking it to get alittle more speed out of it? Thanks for your time and Help.
bob08
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Aibohphobia » Sun Jun 30, 2002 1:46 pm

If there are frequency adjust and multiplier settings in your BIOS, check there. Otherwise you would probably have to overclock in Windows, using a program such as CPUCooL
Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog!
A man, a plan, a butt tub: anal Panama!
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Tolemac » Sun Jun 30, 2002 6:27 pm

Welcome to the Mother Board!

Go into Frequency/Voltage Control in the BIOS and set the CPU/SDRAM/PCI Clock to Manual. Now there will be more opotions displayed for you to set the FSB and I believe the multiplier. Set the FSB to 100MHz and then set the Multiplier to 8x. This should give you 800MHz CPU speed. Reboot and check the spped of the system to make sure it is at 800MHz and then run some programs to test the stability. Once it has shown that it is stable at that speed, you can then go back into the BIOS and change the multiplier to 9x. This will set the speed to 900MHz. Repeat the previous process to check the system and if it's stable, you will successfully overclocked the system by 200MHz. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby len444 » Sun Jun 30, 2002 6:51 pm

addition to tolemacs advice- benchmark program- do the sisoft sandra 2002 standard:

http://www.sisoftware.demon.co.uk/sandra/

can see how settings affect cpu, memory, ect... speed-
burn in wizard to verify stability (continuous)- i've used it overnight low w/ new build, then med setting on 2nd night, then max at third night- if the system runs w/ o lock up your good- if it locks up, then you'll have to analyze for cause, and back off settings.

uncheck boxes except for cpu and memory for cpu burn in (need to check memory as well)- you can do all items though, just add the disks needed for file benchmarks- w/ o.c. it's the cpu/ memory that must be verified as stable first.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby bob08 » Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:33 pm

Thanks all for your advice, will try these and I will let you know the results. Once Again Thank you .
bob08
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Overclockers Anonymous