Newbie: want to overclock GPU

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Newbie: want to overclock GPU

Postby theslinky » Thu May 09, 2002 5:51 pm

Hi,

I have a VisionTek Geforce2 GTS/Pro w/ 64mb DDR. My CPU is an AMD 1800+ (not overclocked) with the shuttle AK31-A mobo. I have 512 mb ddr of system memory.

My 3Dmark2001 score is 4618. And I don't get very high frame rates in Max Payne (@ 1024x768), and the newer games like Medal of Honor, ghost recon, soldier of fortune 2, etc. come really slow (~20-25 fps) at 1024. My monitor is a 23" sony and low resolutions look crappy since there is no antialiasing :-(

So I assume overclocking will improve my performance a little. If so, can someone tell me how much (percentage wise) improvement I can expect if I overclock? Also, what items do I need to overclock my GPU (fans, heatsinks, tools, etc)? Is overclocking GPUs recommended for newbies (I have some knowledge of hardware, but have never oc'd anything :-). And are there any risks involved if I follow all the necessary steps and keep my GPU cooled enough?

thanks!
-sridhar

P.S. I like the new board. I'm an avid programmer of PHP myself, and have used phpBB in many instances. Looks very good and thanks for setting it up!
theslinky
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Newbie: want to overclock GPU

Postby mike1_2001 » Thu May 09, 2002 8:39 pm

theslinky wrote:Hi,

I have a VisionTek Geforce2 GTS/Pro w/ 64mb DDR. My CPU is an AMD 1800+ (not overclocked) with the shuttle AK31-A mobo. I have 512 mb ddr of system memory.

My 3Dmark2001 score is 4618. And I don't get very high frame rates in Max Payne (@ 1024x768), and the newer games like Medal of Honor, ghost recon, soldier of fortune 2, etc. come really slow (~20-25 fps) at 1024. My monitor is a 23" sony and low resolutions look crappy since there is no antialiasing :-(

So I assume overclocking will improve my performance a little. If so, can someone tell me how much (percentage wise) improvement I can expect if I overclock? Also, what items do I need to overclock my GPU (fans, heatsinks, tools, etc)? Is overclocking GPUs recommended for newbies (I have some knowledge of hardware, but have never oc'd anything :-). And are there any risks involved if I follow all the necessary steps and keep my GPU cooled enough?

thanks!
-sridhar

P.S. I like the new board. I'm an avid programmer of PHP myself, and have used phpBB in many instances. Looks very good and thanks for setting it up!

Try installing the latest 4in1 drivers, make sure that SBA & FW is enabled. Use Powerstrip to enable it if it isn't. About OCing your card, you'll get around 5-10 FPS gain on the average and BTW, a score of 4618 is above average for a GF2 GTS/Pro. Try turning down the details on the card, that usually fixes it. The reason why you're suffering from low framerate is that newer games requires more power for the highest setting. If you want higher details & FSAA enabled, you should consider a video card upgrade........ :)
mike1_2001
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Overclockers Anonymous