Newb needs suggestions on how to overclock a SL-75DRV5

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Newb needs suggestions on how to overclock a SL-75DRV5

Postby Crazy Horse~ » Sat Jun 22, 2002 1:52 pm

SL-75DRV5
XP 2100+
256mb Corsair PC3000
Fijitsu SCSI HD 10k rpm
Geforce Pro 32mb ddr
420w Power Supply
Windows XP

This is the same system that had the blue screen problem. Turns out the system was fine, the problem was that Windows XP doesnt like cable modems to be connected via USB. So i now have it connected with a cat5 cable and she is running nicely.
Anywho, i want to get some more "GO" out of it, but have no idea where to begin. Any help will be appreciated, but remember, you are talking to a newb. Thanks in advance :)
Crazy Horse~
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Tolemac » Sat Jun 22, 2002 6:55 pm

Unless you go to the trouble, and I do mean trouble, of unlocking the XP2100, your only recourse is to up the FSB. (Front Side Bus)
Go into the BIOS and then go into Frequency/Voltage Control. Once there, see where it says "Use CPU Linear FREQ" - set that to "Use Linear".
Right below it, it says CPU Clock. This should be set to 133 as that is what your CPU runs at natively. Now comes the fun. Simply change that number upward to overclock. I always recommend going very slow and easy till you are familiar with the unit and the reactions to each setting. Start with 136 and then reboot the system. As it comes back up, you'll see that it will probably still say that it's an XP2100+ so don't worry about that. What you want to do is let it load Windows and then use something like SiSoft SANDRA to see exactly what the MHz is at. Because the CPU is locked, your multiplier is set at 13. Multiply 13 times the number you are going to set the FSB to, to see what it should be reading at. It may not read spot on, but as long as it's close, you'll be alright.
In this instance, 13 X 136 gives you 1.768 or 1.77GHz. Run the unit for a while to make sure that it's stable and that it doesn't have a problem with running at that speed. It shouldn't give you any trouble at all. Keep upping the FSB in 2 or 3MHz units till the system shows any signs of becoming unstable. Once that happens, reduce the FSB by a couple of MHz and then go back into the BIOS and the Voltage Control setting. Now you will want to adjust the Vcore (voltage core of the CPU) up from 1.6v to 1.7v and then reboot and check the system again. Depending on how the board reacts, you may have to increase the Vcore to 1.725 or 1.750. Run some of the SiSoft SANDRA burn-in wizards to make sure that the system is stable and let it run doing your normal apps for a couple of days. If you have no instability issues, then it has been successfully overclocked. If anything gets funky, simply reduce the FSB a couple more MHz and it should be fine. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Crazy Horse~ » Sun Jun 23, 2002 11:28 am

Thanks for the info!
I couldnt get the SiSoft website to open, maybe they were having some problems, so i am using madonion's pcmark 2002 (free version)

1st attempt: Vcore=default
fsb= 136

Results: cpu=1740 mhz

Last attempt: Vcore=1.8
fsb= 139

Results= cpu 1790

Seems to be stable now, i was just playing Counter-Strike (one of my addictions) and everything was going well.
What about that setting in Bios that says something like "system speed" and the choices are normal , fast , faster or something like that? Should i leave it alone? Well i have to go work for a few hours, but ill be playing with it again shortly. Thanks again for your help :D
Crazy Horse~
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Crazy Horse~ » Sun Jun 23, 2002 9:51 pm

I managed to to get pcu up to 1800mhz. I also changed the dram cas to 2 from 2.5 and changed the dram burst to 8. That raised my memory score up a bit according to pcmark 2002. Is there anything else i can do besides unlock the pcu? Maybe change the dipswitches on the board ? (the mulitplier is on the default and the cpu external frequency setting is set at 133.3mhz). And what about the memory module voltage select (jp3/jp4)? It is set at default also. Thanks again for the help :D
Crazy Horse~
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Tolemac » Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:14 pm

Actually, you want the memory to be at CAS2 if at all possible as the lower number is the faster setting for memory. Don't mess with the voltage of the memory. It's best left where it is. You will not be able to change the multiplier as it is locked until you unlock it at the CPU itself. Quite a job on the XP2100+, so I do not recommend it unless you really know what you are doing.
Other than that, you're doing what you need to do, just go slow and steady. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ChicoMarx » Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:18 pm

Have the same board with an XP2100+ and followed your advice. Results:

fsb @ 136 with VCore @ 1.75 = stable
fsb @ 137 with VCore as high as 1.8 = video artifacts
fsb @ 138 with VCore as high as 1.8 = bsod

Not real good results. Any recommendations on setting the voltage any higher? Is there anything I'm doing wrong?
ChicoMarx
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tolemac » Fri Jun 28, 2002 2:30 pm

You should be able to get at least 142 to 145MHz FSB on that board. Try upping the Vcore to 1.825 and see what it gives you. How do you have the rest of the BIOS set up?
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Crazy Horse~ » Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:42 pm

The highest i could get was 141 fsb with 1.85 vcore = cpu 1810 mhz. However i would get an occasional bsod when gaming, so i toned it down a bit. Im not sure im staying cool enough (ive heard that the temps indicators on this board are not very accurate). I get the feeling there isnt much more performance to get out of this setup by overclocking, without unlocking the CPU.
Crazy Horse~
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Tolemac » Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:53 pm

I have the SL-75DRV4 and you are correct. The Temp sensors read pretty high. It looks like about 6 to 8*C above what they actually are. Replaced it with the Abit KX7-333R and now they read as they should. What are your temp readings?

141MHz FSB is not bad, but with the XP2100+ that may indeed be it's max on that board. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Crazy Horse~ » Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:12 pm

Temp 1 = 44c
Temp 2 = 55c

(Temp 1 is mobo temp and Temp 2 is CPU right?)

These temps are with with the Vcore set @ 1.75 and CPU @ 136, like i said, i toned it down to regain stability when gameing. I did not use thermal grease, just the pad that came on the heatsink. Im not sure what the name of my cpu fan is called, but it turns at just under 5k rpms. I got it because it looks cool (big and chrome, reminds me of robo cop) and i am going to install i window in my case. Probably not a wise decision, and i may end up getting a Volcano and using thermal grease.
Crazy Horse~
Green Belt
Green Belt

Next

Return to Overclockers Anonymous