first try at overclocking

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

first try at overclocking

Postby Wyrm73 » Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:42 pm

After reading about this thing called overclocking for a while I have decided to try it. I can see why it's addictive. Nothing like going faster for the cost of a little pencil lead. 8)

I have a 700 MHz Duron in an Epox EP-8KTA3+ that I have unlocked with the pencil trick. It seems to be stable at 867 MHz (102 x 8.5) with the Vcore at 1.625, but I want to go faster if possible. If I smell burned CPU I will be a dead man as this is my wife's computer.

I have tried increasing the multiplier to 9 with a FSB of 100 and 102 but it blue screens or hangs. Same thing if I try to go higher on the FSB. Anyone have any suggestions that will not land me on the couch for a week?
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby len444 » Thu Jun 13, 2002 7:37 pm

:arrow: :?: :!: first question would be (i'm admittadly not an overclocking expert) what hsf are you using, and how many case fans, psu type w/ how many fans, and what temps are you getting for system, and cpu?

:arrow: download MBM here:

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

:arrow: sisoft sandra for checking system/ benchmarking( will post temps under mainboard info):

http://www.sisoftware.demon.co.uk/sandra/
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Wyrm73 » Thu Jun 13, 2002 8:26 pm

The HSF is a cheap Cooler Master from Fry's. That is my main concern. It is obviously not the best available and I don't want to get it too hot. I'm not sure just how hot is too hot. Overclocked, it is running at about 41C under load. It was running at 36C under load before overclocking attempts and silver compound.

As I understand it, you have to bump the Vcore in order to increase FSB on an AMD chip and still remain stable. Increasing Vcore also causes extra heat and can fry chip if not done carefully. Correct?
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby The Disturbance » Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:16 am

If you don't mine sound get the Volcano 6 Cu+ or 7. And some Arctic Silver Compound.
The Disturbance
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby ChicoMarx » Fri Jun 14, 2002 4:57 am

Gotta recommend the 6Cu+ and AS3. The V7's auto-sensing fan may be problematic at low case temps. Read a review of the V7 where the fan never went to high because the case was so cold (lots of fans) and the cpu ran hotter. The absolute #1 hsf is the V7+ but I think that's overkill for your cpu...plus it may not fit. You need a forklift with this block-o'-copper!

Get some Arctic Silver 3 and follow the directions on the AS website. Remember to give the grease 72 hours to burn in before taking your temps seriously. You may have to try the AS3 a few times to get it "just right".
ChicoMarx
Initiate
Initiate

Postby len444 » Fri Jun 14, 2002 5:41 am

As I understand it, you have to bump the Vcore in order to increase FSB on an AMD chip

:arrow: generally overclock higher incrementally until unstable, then raise cpu vcore up incrementally

tweak your bios for higher performance- match mem cas w/ bios the same. cas 2 mem will overclock higher than cas 3 (accept what you have and adjust bios to match)

try mult @8.5, and raise the fsb- this will raise the agp and pci busses (and memory as well) raising fsb 10% (w/ 15% about max for pci and agp busses)- going higher might be possible, though the stress on pci and agp long term might not be good. (8.5X115mhz=977.5mhzpotentially attainable-)

:arrow: go slow and review system w/ benchmarks- only raise cpu and memory voltage very small increments at a time and only when unstable-

other way is to play it safe and back it off when unstable and have a safe faster system (prob my approach for long term useage)

:arrow: :!: :!: get a good hsf, as well as adding case fans as a prerequisite before taking it to the max

:idea: tweak your bios- there might be a couple of settings that are holding back the system (perhaps this would get the 9x mult?!?)
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby o1die2 » Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:56 am

41 celcius is pretty good, so you may be at the speed limit for your particular cpu.
o1die2
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Return to Overclockers Anonymous