My Views On Security

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

My Views On Security

Postby gregmcquaid » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:45 pm

Many would say that the best way to acheive good system security is through the layered approach. This i totaly agree to.

What is layered?

Layered security is when you take several applications and devices which enable you to acheive a good security level.

Take my home network for example i have a hardware router with built in spi firewall, now this will protect me from all inbound scans but will leave me wide open to to anything transmitting out from my network. To solve this problem i would reccomend that you should run a software firewall like zone alarm or kerio to control what applications allowed internet access and which ones are not.

Another layer of security would be the common antivirus program and antitrojan program. These imho are essestial for any computer as usually a single antivirus product like norton cannot do what a dedicated anti-trojan can.

The third layer of protection i take would be to change the default hosts file to a modified one which will block alot of common spyware sites and programs. I will always use this along side a spyware scanner like ad-aware.

Some links for you:

Modified Hosts File

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Many of the common antiviruse programs can be found in the sticky at the top of this forum.

HTH

Greg
gregmcquaid
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby snap355 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:59 pm

:mb_iagree::

Although with the default hosts, if you use FF that would kinda eliminates it :wink:
[url=http://www.motherboards.org/folding/index.html] Lend a hand and help with the folding project. Come join our 33258 team!

[/url]
snap355
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Copper » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:46 pm

i would run a pc without this approuch. make tough to get in and make it dam hard to get out
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby snap355 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:18 pm

Or just to be extra safe, borrow your friend PC for internet and just use your PC for single player games :wink:
[url=http://www.motherboards.org/folding/index.html] Lend a hand and help with the folding project. Come join our 33258 team!

[/url]
snap355
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby gregmcquaid » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:02 pm

That sounds even better
gregmcquaid
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security