The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:24 pm 
Green Belt
Green Belt

It's not a laptop. He *said* it's a Presario....might be the wrong series. However, it is a desktop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:18 pm 
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

:oops: I didn;t realise compaq branded their desktop PCs presario too. My bad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:29 pm 
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Prearios back in the day could be desktops or laptops

[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:05 pm 
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

webster wrote:
:oops: I didn;t realise compaq branded their desktop PCs presario too. My bad

i use to own one, cough, cough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:37 pm 
Green Belt
Green Belt

Well, after I copied that into something else and enlarged it so I could actually read it....lol....

ah-ha...how did you like it? Time flies so fast, what kind of processor do you think this guys computer could have? It's two years old and was the top-of-the-line. Could it be a P4? Or P3?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:54 pm 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

EmilyB wrote:
Purplejulia wrote:
Are you reinstalling the OS? Doesn't a fdisk / format / reinstall get rid of everything?
Or am I being over-optimistic... :D

A reformat would indeed kill everything, if that is what the user wants to do.

Not true, there are memory resident virus's but they are pretty weak and easily removed with working updated AntiVirus.

Chances are your friends Compaq came with a free year of Norton or Mcafee, uninstall and reboot before installing any Antivirus that was listed above, (free AV or AVG from grisoft) SPYBOT, ADAWARE are Antispyware, these are safe to have multiple versions of, but only have one anti virus installed at a time.
there are also free online scans as well, trend micros housecall and symantecs free online scan and many more
of course this applies mostly if you dont do a clean install.
I would suggest dumping the OS and fdisking anyway, see if your friend still has his restore disks from presario and will include them.
If you have to reinstall without them and install your own personally bought OS you will need some help dealing with compaqs drivers and what drivers you should install.
If this is the case you may want to post a new thread on this so the experts that know these systems can help such as myself, evasive, tobyb, hardwarejunkie etc...

audiobliss wrote:
Well, after I copied that into something else and enlarged it so I could actually read it....lol....

ah-ha...how did you like it? Time flies so fast, what kind of processor do you think this guys computer could have? It's two years old and was the top-of-the-line. Could it be a P4? Or P3?

P4 definetly, which one I dont know.
PS: if you have a mouse with a scroll wheel, you can hold down the ctrl + spin the wheel to change the text size in a web page :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:47 am 
kltsin wrote:
EmilyB wrote:
Purplejulia wrote:
Are you reinstalling the OS? Doesn't a fdisk / format / reinstall get rid of everything?

Not true, there are memory resident virus's but they are pretty weak and easily removed with working updated AntiVirus.

RAM is cleared when the machine is shut down, and if the HDD is reformatted the "loader" program is removed :?

The only exception is CMOS viruses, but modern BIOSes take care of this anyway.

Please prove me wrong, because youve totally confused me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:30 am 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

EmilyB wrote:
kltsin wrote:
EmilyB wrote:
Purplejulia wrote:

RAM is cleared when the machine is shut down, and if the HDD is reformatted the "loader" program is removed :?

Any bios can be attacked, its not a strong attack as I stated earlier they are weak.
There may be a hidden boot partition on a drive that can be attacked as well that an fdisk cant touch. Neither are common but do happen from erroneous files.
There is a bug that would infect floppys as well, for the sole purpose of infecting a boot diskette to transfer a virus onto a freshly formatted HD.

Really dont sweat any of the above. Its very very unlikely now a days, all AV will show the infections with a full scan and are easily removed..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:37 am 
kltsin wrote:
EmilyB wrote:
kltsin wrote:
EmilyB wrote:
Purplejulia wrote:

Any bios can be attacked, its not a strong attack as I stated earlier they are weak.
There may be a hidden boot partition on a drive that can be attacked as well that an fdisk cant touch. Neither are common but do happen from erroneous files.
There is a bug that would infect floppys as well, for the sole purpose of infecting a boot diskette to transfer a virus onto a freshly formatted HD.

Really dont sweat any of the above. Its very very unlikely now a days, all AV will show the infections with a full scan and are easily removed..

Well since I didnt mention the use of floppies or using FDisk then, indeed thats what I thought. A total and complete format (delete and recreate all partitions as per a WindowsXP setup) will suffice. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:40 am 
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

EmilyB wrote:
kltsin wrote:
EmilyB wrote:
kltsin wrote:
EmilyB wrote:
Purplejulia wrote:

Well since I didnt mention the use of floppies or using FDisk then, indeed thats what I thought. A total and complete format (delete and recreate all partitions as per a WindowsXP setup) will suffice. Thank you.

:mb_iagree::

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next