What a virus does/how to get rid of

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby EmilyB » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:29 pm

snap355 wrote:Yes you could delete and recreate it with wxp or any other partitioning software. However in doing so, you lost all drivers and apps that came with PC

Thats fine. I was just trying to prove that "hidden partitions" are no big deal :D

Thanks for your help snap355.
EmilyB

Postby kltsin » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:52 am

EmilyB wrote:
snap355 wrote:Yes you could delete and recreate it with wxp or any other partitioning software. However in doing so, you lost all drivers and apps that came with PC

Thats fine. I was just trying to prove that "hidden partitions" are no big deal :D

Thanks for your help snap355.

Sorry Em, wasnt picking a fight but.... above isnt perfect but snap did a good job overall.
By nature the XP install will NOT remove hidden partitions, it has to be done manually.
Theres also "true" hidden partitions and some bogus drive setups programs that are very hard to remove that requires special software and XP cant, programs like partition magic can remove them, not sure if its only or ways to get around them, but as I said the infections are easily removed as they arent attacked as much any more since XP and Internet Explorer are such choice targets...
BTW some very old compaqs used to load the hidden boot partition into high memory before a floppy was accessed and could transfer a virus to a freshly repartioned and formatted drive, is this the case still, yes and no I said the virus's were weak and abandoned... but the info could be passed on since it was in memory even during a fdisk...
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Previous

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security