E-trust EZ Firewall problems

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby jimflint1 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:42 am

kltsin wrote:Well a slow update means a large file, but being on dial up it also depends on what is being installed.

I'm thinking it's the SP2 that's downloading and it's just taking a long time with my dial-up connection. I didn't realize it was a 250+ meg file. It was probably working the entire time I've been saying it wasn't, and it just didn't seem like it was because it was so large that the computer appeared to be doing nothing when I went to microsoft to download it. My two failed attempts were probably because I attempted to restart a download that was already in progress.

Your system should be stable before installing sp2, any issues may come back to haunt you.
So after removing the firewalls etc are you having any issues...
Again as I stated in previous posts, you may not be connecting to some sites for other reasons, like automatic updates is installing and stealing bandwidth or that site is busy with traffic...

I've heard that people have a lot of trouble with sp2 when they have any kind of malware or other issues. I'm trying to keep my comp clean until then--and of course always.

Or what I prefer to do when I dont have alot of internet bandwidth and stuck with dial up is download the individual updates. Since you dont have SP2 and your system is very much lagging, you have no choice but to get your system up to date for all critical updates FIRST.
After you get all of the critical updates you can set the automatic updates to notify you of new updates and then choose to install them at will and know what is downloading.

That's what I'll do. If I'd have done that from the beginning, I'd know for sure if it was sp2 downloading. But then again, I wouldn't have learned all this great information from yourself and others.

On this I hope you followed my instructions carefully, dont use HJT to remove instances you are unsure of...
That said and done, hows everything running?

I followed them carefully. When I rebooted afterwards it was working well and still seems to be. My firewall seems to be blocking some sites still, but their help section says to keep clicking on them because there's a learning curve for the firewall.

Anyway, thanks a bunch for your help. I really appreciate it.

Shane
jimflint1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby kltsin » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:03 pm

jimflint1 wrote:I'm thinking it's the SP2 that's downloading and it's just taking a long time with my dial-up connection. I didn't realize it was a 250+ meg file.

Unlike the CD or the IT download for SP2, it installs just what is needed for THAT particular system, if you had many of the KB's or other updates the automatic SP2 update may be as low as 70mb..

I've heard that people have a lot of trouble with sp2 when they have any kind of malware or other issues. I'm trying to keep my comp clean until then--and of course always.

Just make sure all of your drivers are updated and you have no real issues, run a registry cleaner if possible.
Do a complete uninstall of "ify" drivers and run driver cleaner and download the latest drivers and DX9.

Most of the above really isnt necessary their are only a few issues with SP2 and they can EASILY be worked around. As long as you are stable and there are no major issues or errors in the eventviewr (run box type in "eventvwr.msc")...You should be more than fine.

That's what I'll do. If I'd have done that from the beginning, I'd know for sure if it was sp2 downloading. But then again, I wouldn't have learned all this great information from yourself and others..

Go ahead and order the cd (SP2), it couldnt hurt.

Your welcome, I glad I could help. :oops:

My firewall seems to be blocking some sites still, but their help section says to keep clicking on them because there's a learning curve for the firewall.
Anyway, thanks a bunch for your help. I really appreciate it.
Shane

Well this shouldnt be, may be a different firewall like zonealarms free one wouldnt be a bad idea and just junk the EZ stuff, and use free avg, free adaware and many other free programs (DONATE if you like them and use them)...
If you cant connect to some sites lets just uninstall all of the EZ stuff for now.
Im also curious as to why outpost and zonealarm left so much behind in the registry. If you ever install anything like this do it and reboot immediatly. Or uninstall it and reboot immediatly.

Best of luck.
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby jimflint1 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:53 pm

Thanks!
jimflint1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Previous

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security