MS Anti-Spyware to remain free

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

MS Anti-Spyware to remain free

Postby Oylpann » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:58 pm

From BetaNews.com

By Ed Oswald and Nate Mook, BetaNews
February 15, 2005, 2:05 PM
UPDATED Speaking at the RSA Conference Tuesday, Microsoft chairman Bill Gates said the company's recently released anti-spyware product will remain free for personal use.

"Just as spyware is something that we have to nip down today, we have decided that all licensed Windows users should have that protection at no charge," Gates said.

A version of the software for enterprise customers, however, will not be free. Microsoft has yet to announce any details or pricing for that release. There had been much speculation that Microsoft would move to a fee-based service once the anti-spyware program moved out of beta.

Microsoft AntiSpyware, which is based on software developed by GIANT, is part of a continuing effort by Redmond to make its operating system more secure. According to a recent survey, as many as 80 percent of Windows users may be infected by spyware.

"Customers are concerned about the risk malware poses to their personal information, and frustrated by its impact on the reliability and performance of their computers," Gates said. "We are responding by making security easier and more cost-effective for Windows customers, helping to protect millions of people who are vulnerable today."
"You cant hug your family with Nuclear Arms"

Asus F2A85-V Pro
AMD A10-5800K APU @ 4.5GHz
8GB G. Skill 1866
550w PSU
Hyper 212 Evo
Oylpann
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby EmilyB » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:27 am

Very nice information. Microsoft have again completed a U-Turn on their developments. Peer pressure I assume.

Although, lets wait and see what their definition of "customer" is, there must be a catch somewhere. And for how long will it remain free; will we see a free version for Longhorn too?

Good information Oylpann, thanks.
EmilyB

Postby Toby B. » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:02 am

Peer pressure I assume.
Lawsuits up the ying-yang most likely!!
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby EmilyB » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:05 am

Toby B. wrote:
Peer pressure I assume.
Lawsuits up the ying-yang most likely!!

That too :lol: Good call Toby, I think youre right.
EmilyB

Postby Copper » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:06 am

charge for something , you can get free elseware
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby snap355 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:18 am

Thank goodness for competition
[url=http://www.motherboards.org/folding/index.html] Lend a hand and help with the folding project. Come join our 33258 team!

[/url]
snap355
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby evasive » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:24 am

snap355 wrote:Thank goodness for competition

Thank goodness for free competition. We'd still be using some 16-bit GUI on an 8-bit OS if not for Linux....
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby colinJohn » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:00 am

They were never going to charge for it - it was always going to be just another part of the OS; it's their standard business model. They did it with their browser, their firewall, messaging services and pop-up blockers and lots of other bits and peices that they either copy or aquire.

I've been surprised that a virus guard wasn't introduced a couple of years ago - maybe we'll see one next.
"that's some catch that Catch 22"
"It's the best that there is"

colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Ryn » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:33 am

i hope that this spyware tool from MS will remain free coz MS bought this from Giant, which is by far the best antispyware tool i have used
Ryn
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby dualcpu » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:53 pm

I find it interesting that when first released (& installed) MS wanted to verify the legality of installed OS or the prog would not run. Now that it is officially "free", I actually don't trust it for the aforementioned reason. I run a legal xp pro OS btw, & I might mention am sick of there activation bs game. MS has the market in OS's, browsers, office aps, etc. They have already made their update site a permanent feature of your OS (ie, if you want it autoupdates must be on). NOW they are offering an antispyware that needs to update AS WELL on a regular basis. Doesn't anyone feel like there digital privacy is disappearing under the MS butterfly sales pitch?
I personally think that privacy is worth paying for, more so than av software or the latest os plus free antispyware bs.
dualcpu

Next

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security