Fixing up computer...any suggestions on programmes?

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Fixing up computer...any suggestions on programmes?

Postby snakebite66 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:43 am

Well I have yet another job on to fix up a spyware/virus infested computer tomorrow...

I seem to do a lot of that these days...

Not one for being complacent and always on the lookout for good freeware tools to help me do the job, I welcome any useful programme suggestions not listed below..

so any further tools you can suggest will be welcome :!: :idea:

I will use Mcafee stinger, Spybot Search and destroy, Adaware Se, Microsofts offering to sort out the spyware malware and viruses.

Will load Anti Vir to try and catch more...and maybe hijack This..

Will load spyware blaster also and instuct them how to use it along with the other spware tools and a firewall!

from what I discussed on the telephone the person has no virus protection :roll: I am amazed just how many people have absolute no clue...
"Take counsel in wine, but resolve afterwards in water."
Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
snakebite66
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby gutt3d » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:49 am

Sounds like you've got it pretty much covered.

One thing that you say you might install is HijackThis. Personally, I would say definitely install it - at least to help you clear up the machine.

It's a powerful tool, so maybe it might not be a good idea to leave it installed for the owner to "discover" since it can do a bit of damage if not used correctly. For you to use an clean up the machine, however, I'd say definitely install it - it rules.

Personally, I've got: McAffee VSE, AdAware SE, HijackThis. I'm behind a router, so there is no urgent need for a firewall (although thinking baout putting ZA back on there). These 3 apps generaly sort me out pretty well - if machine gets hit with something, McAffee detects it and I can clean it using McAffee and HJT. I run AdAware fairly frequently to make sure there are no non-virus apps that could cause a prob.

I think there is some software that actually prevents stuff neing installed to HKLM potion of the registry - it's great for blocking malware but I can't remember the name of it. That might be a good one to install before you return machine to owner. It means that they will have some extra security checks if they want to install older software (e.g. stuff that still writes to HKLM) but it should work great at preventing dodgy stuff from sneakily adding HKLM keys...

Hopefully someone else here will know the name of it :wink:
gutt3d
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby don'tknowmuch » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:06 pm

For an awesome antivirus, which I use on all my rigs and sell exclusively at my bud's shop is NOD32, give the trial version a go after you've run other antivirus proggy's and let us know what you think :D

http://www.nod32.com/download/trial.htm
don'tknowmuch
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby snap355 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:19 am

Don't forget zone alarm
[url=http://www.motherboards.org/folding/index.html] Lend a hand and help with the folding project. Come join our 33258 team!

[/url]
snap355
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Black Wolf » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:46 am

Spyware Blaster
About Buster
CW SHredder
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby snap355 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:59 am

Black Wolf wrote:Spyware Blaster
About Buster
CW SHredder

Are these free?
[url=http://www.motherboards.org/folding/index.html] Lend a hand and help with the folding project. Come join our 33258 team!

[/url]
snap355
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby snakebite66 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:04 pm

Thanks all,

What a job it was...

Loads of spyware and malware and Viruses galore...

Brought a Fully loaded CD with utilities

Put on Zonealarm first to stop all the communication with the bad stuff then loaded anti spyware stuff tested out microsofts beta spyware tool as well...

Well it took me over 3 hours but after booting to safe mode several times and taking things off in stages I managed to stabalize the system...

DontKnowMuch thanks for the recommendation of Nod (I missed your post) I will have to try it on another job but this time I put on Anti Vir which did a good job...

I left the computer with spybot adaware and Microsoft anti spware, loaded Zonealarm, spwareblaster and did a cleanup with reg cleaner and crap cleaner...

This was a bad one, but got the job done after 4 cups of coffee and much patience

Thanks for the replies and recommendations :!: :D
"Take counsel in wine, but resolve afterwards in water."
Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
snakebite66
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Black Wolf » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:39 pm

snap355 wrote:
About Buster
CW SHredder

Are these free?

Thast a good point I never thought of that, these are programs I have at work that I use. I know at least the copies we have our legal.
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby snap355 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:42 pm

Black Wolf wrote:
snap355 wrote:
About Buster
CW SHredder

Are these free?

Thast a good point I never thought of that, these are programs I have at work that I use. I know at least the copies we have our legal.

Hmm, send me a legal copy... not :x :P

[/url]
snap355
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby evasive » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:24 am

Spyware Blaster
CW SHredder

are free, I'll check About Buster...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security