What Virus Could This Be?

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

What Virus Could This Be?

Postby John-K » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:09 pm

While surfing, my dad very naively clicked on a prompt telling him that Microsoft was issuing a critical update. Now he can turn the computer off; can't do anything with it at all. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I don't even know how to go about searching for information on this.

:(
John-K
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby EmilyB » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:26 pm

Do you know any more details of the message? Microsoft prompts for updates are very common in Windows2000 and WindowsXP, but there is no direct link to viruses. We need to know what the prompt was asking for. It could have been a bogus alert that then led to a virus or crapware being installed.
EmilyB

Postby John-K » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:49 pm

Sorry. He told me that it was the usual prompt you get after Windows Updates downloads the critical updates. It was that pop-up ballon that says "Do you want to update yada yada yada." Getting into safe mode does no good. The computer is still just dead. :(
John-K
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Copper » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:57 pm

try a different psu
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby EmilyB » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:04 pm

John-K wrote:Sorry. He told me that it was the usual prompt you get after Windows Updates downloads the critical updates. It was that pop-up ballon that says "Do you want to update yada yada yada." Getting into safe mode does no good. The computer is still just dead. :(

It sounds like a driver issue, or a freaky breakdown of hardware. Windows Updates shouldnt directly affect hardware, so Im guessing he downloaded an incompatible driver which has screwed things up. But it is of course possible that bad timing has lead to a breakdown of hardware too.

Does the system boot at all. Do you get past POST? If not then it is definately hardware and nothing to do with Windows.
EmilyB

Postby John-K » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:09 pm

EmilyB wrote:It sounds like a driver issue, or a freaky breakdown of hardware. Windows Updates shouldnt directly affect hardware, so Im guessing he downloaded an incompatible driver which has screwed things up.

BINGO! I followed up on this by changing the mouse. Now it works!

Great detective work! Thanks much!

:D
John-K
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby EmilyB » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:37 pm

John-K wrote:
EmilyB wrote:It sounds like a driver issue, or a freaky breakdown of hardware. Windows Updates shouldnt directly affect hardware, so Im guessing he downloaded an incompatible driver which has screwed things up.

BINGO! I followed up on this by changing the mouse. Now it works!

Great detective work! Thanks much!

:mb_fixed::

EmilyB

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security