The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:09 pm 
Offline
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:42 am
Posts: 449
While surfing, my dad very naively clicked on a prompt telling him that Microsoft was issuing a critical update. Now he can turn the computer off; can't do anything with it at all. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I don't even know how to go about searching for information on this.

:(


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:26 pm 
Do you know any more details of the message? Microsoft prompts for updates are very common in Windows2000 and WindowsXP, but there is no direct link to viruses. We need to know what the prompt was asking for. It could have been a bogus alert that then led to a virus or crapware being installed.


Top
  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:49 pm 
Offline
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:42 am
Posts: 449
Sorry. He told me that it was the usual prompt you get after Windows Updates downloads the critical updates. It was that pop-up ballon that says "Do you want to update yada yada yada." Getting into safe mode does no good. The computer is still just dead. :(


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:57 pm 
Offline
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:38 pm
Posts: 8640
Location: Midlands UK
try a different psu

_________________
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:04 pm 
John-K wrote:
Sorry. He told me that it was the usual prompt you get after Windows Updates downloads the critical updates. It was that pop-up ballon that says "Do you want to update yada yada yada." Getting into safe mode does no good. The computer is still just dead. :(


It sounds like a driver issue, or a freaky breakdown of hardware. Windows Updates shouldnt directly affect hardware, so Im guessing he downloaded an incompatible driver which has screwed things up. But it is of course possible that bad timing has lead to a breakdown of hardware too.

Does the system boot at all. Do you get past POST? If not then it is definately hardware and nothing to do with Windows.


Top
  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:09 pm 
Offline
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:42 am
Posts: 449
EmilyB wrote:
It sounds like a driver issue, or a freaky breakdown of hardware. Windows Updates shouldnt directly affect hardware, so Im guessing he downloaded an incompatible driver which has screwed things up.


BINGO! I followed up on this by changing the mouse. Now it works!

Great detective work! Thanks much!

:D


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:37 pm 
John-K wrote:
EmilyB wrote:
It sounds like a driver issue, or a freaky breakdown of hardware. Windows Updates shouldnt directly affect hardware, so Im guessing he downloaded an incompatible driver which has screwed things up.


BINGO! I followed up on this by changing the mouse. Now it works!

Great detective work! Thanks much!

:D


:mb_fixed::

:D


Top
  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group