Zone Alarm (free) vs. Zone Alarm Pro What's Your Opinion ?

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Zone Alarm (free) vs. Zone Alarm Pro What's Your Opinion ?

Postby c327 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:25 am

I would like to start a discussion between software firewalls Zone Alarm (free version) and Zone Alarm Pro as used with Windows XP & ME and both dial-up and high speed internet service, to see what other users like or dislike about them, and also any suggestions in setting either up.

What do you think of it?
Last edited by c327 on Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby evasive » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:28 pm

Unless you are sharing the internet connection, no need for the Pro version. And I liked Sygate better last time I installed it.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby kltsin » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:17 pm

The paid for holds your hand and the free one makes you learn and do a little work (not much though, learning curve is almost straight once you under stand it)
All the rest is fluff, such as ad blocking which you can get from a host file or the millions of free anti popup add ons, such as yahoos pop up blocker etc..

For dial up.. Its great to have and see whats trying to exit the system and get in. Many say that dial up users dont need a firewall as much as a broadband user does, but I am on dial up 24/7 (for some odd reason) and it blocks alot of incoming DoS and packets.
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby c327 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:11 am

Thanks all for your comments. I have dial-up and have AVG (free) version, Spybot 1.3, Adaware SE and since yesterday Zone Alarm (free).

Normally I use NAV standard, Spybot & Adaware but since i'm using my back up machine for a month or so while I make repairs on my main computer, I didn't want to spend money on pay utilities because this old Dell is going back in the closet where it came from.

I have always been interested in Zone Alarm but seeing that there is no high speed service on my street I didn't think I needed Zone Alarm.

I recently Installed AVG and so far I am very surprised that it works as well as it does for a free utility. So far I like it, so far.

I installed Zone Alarm (free) yesterday, after learning that Zone Alarm worked on dial-up.

So far I have it configured in default. Since I have been on line with Zone Alarm I have received warnings saying that attempts have been made to scan various ports on my computer and were blocked. Apparently it's doing its job. I'm thinking that I should have had this a long time ago?

When my main computer gets back together I'm wondering if I should stay with AVG because NAV on one occasion created some mess on my other machine as I could not get the old version off. AVG seems to be doing ok so far?

Regards all........................
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby c327 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:29 am

Well just an up-date as to my using Zone Alarm (free) with Windows ME.

Zone Alarm works great but it uses up to much system resources and thus creates problems when resources drop to low.

I had to uninstall it. When I have time I will load XP and try again.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby tedybear » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:57 pm

Scary thing to note..

I'm on DSL and use the routers firewall, and the free ZoneAlarm.

I can monitor and maintain the logs from the hardware firewall in the router..normally sees about 200 "seeks" (for lack of a better word) daily as my computer is logged on the net 24/7 for it's folding. Now combine that with the zone alarm logs? About 300+ each day.... According to the DSL Reports page my computer is fairly well protected (or so they claim) And both firewalls seem to have put a stop to the hackers (for the moment)

But just consider that....about 300++ each day....Do these people have nothing better to do?

S-
tedybear
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby evasive » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:58 pm

c327 wrote:Well just an up-date as to my using Zone Alarm (free) with Windows ME.

Zone Alarm works great but it uses up to much system resources and thus creates problems when resources drop to low.

Not necessarely ZA at fault in Windows Me. One for the test list, I'll try and find out if there's any difference in resouces used between ZA in Me or XP or 98 for that matter...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby kltsin » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:03 am

evasive wrote:
c327 wrote:Well just an up-date as to my using Zone Alarm (free) with Windows ME.

Not necessarely ZA at fault in Windows Me. One for the test list, I'll try and find out if there's any difference in resouces used between ZA in Me or XP or 98 for that matter...

yeah I have to agree here, ZA shouldnt have any resource issues ever.
Even if you did a bad thing like have two software firewalls installed at the same time it wouldnt create a resource issue, just malfunctions.

I would love some feedback on what "using too much system resources" actually means.

There is something else going on....
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby snap355 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:27 pm

Zone alarm free is the preferred choice
[url=http://www.motherboards.org/folding/index.html] Lend a hand and help with the folding project. Come join our 33258 team!

[/url]
snap355
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby snakebite66 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:08 pm

tedybear wrote:Scary thing to note..

I'm on DSL and use the routers firewall, and the free ZoneAlarm.

I can monitor and maintain the logs from the hardware firewall in the router..normally sees about 200 "seeks" (for lack of a better word) daily as my computer is logged on the net 24/7 for it's folding. Now combine that with the zone alarm logs? About 300+ each day.... According to the DSL Reports page my computer is fairly well protected (or so they claim) And both firewalls seem to have put a stop to the hackers (for the moment)

But just consider that....about 300++ each day....Do these people have nothing better to do?

S-

I have a similar set up and have the same kind of attacks...

I agree just what is the point, and what is it with these people!
"Take counsel in wine, but resolve afterwards in water."
Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
snakebite66
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Next

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security