index.dat files Question

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

index.dat files Question

Postby c327 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:50 am

In Windows XP deleting the index.dat files can be tricky. I ran two utilities trying to do this but neither did a complete job. I read somewhere that this can be done from dos manually? Any ideas or suggestions on this task?

By changing the page file size in VM to zero reboot, defrag, reboot, change back to 2.5 times ram, re boot, will this do the same thing or just clear the cache? Two different things I guess?

Thanks................
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: index.dat files Question

Postby kltsin » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:11 pm

c327 wrote:In Windows XP deleting the index.dat files can be tricky. I ran two utilities trying to do this but neither did a complete job. I read somewhere that this can be done from dos manually? Any ideas or suggestions on this task?

By changing the page file size in VM to zero reboot, defrag, reboot, change back to 2.5 times ram, re boot, will this do the same thing or just clear the cache? Two different things I guess?

Thanks................

I wouldnt sweat the Index.dat files, as far as using them to track you are kind of unlikely, and they really dont contain that much info.

There are 2 types for the internet, one is for cookies the other is for visited sites.

Im pretty sure ad aware removes these in there MRU list quite well.
If not MRU blaster a free program should be able to do it as well.(the same guys that made spywareguard and spywareblaster made this wilders i believe has links or google)

If you really wish to clean them out manually do the following.

**** I have never done this before tonight and am just GUESSING********

Here are my guess's, I have 2 or 3 ideas that may work.
NOTES:
For all of them set the system to show hidden files and folders.
In My computer click on Tools> Folder options> View
set it to show hidden files and show and uncheck Hide OS files.
If doing a search use Advanced options in search, showing hidden files and folders.
Most likely the index.dat files showing past internet history is in 3 locations.
One is for cookies and the other is for past sites visited, the history one as well wouldnt hurt as it retains what files you have accessed.
These should be in
c:\documents and settings\XXX\local settings\Temporary internet
c:\documents and settings\XXX\local settings\
c:\documents and settings\XXX\cookies

#1. Do a search for "index.dat"
Delete them with no open IE windows

#2. If that doesnt work
Create a new user profile in XP, turn all other profile passwords off.
Reboot
Enter that new profile.
Open IE then close it after visiting a web site or two.
Set the system to show the hiddens files explained above.
Do a search using advanced options showing hidden files and folders for "index.dat"
Delete those index.dat files, IE will regenerate them.
Note the user profile in question must not have a password to protect it.

#3, If that doesnt work then I can write a batch file to delete or replace them.
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Re: index.dat files Question

Postby c327 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:24 am

kltsin wrote:
c327 wrote:In Windows XP deleting the index.dat files can be tricky. I ran two utilities trying to do this but neither did a complete job. I read somewhere that this can be done from dos manually? Any ideas or suggestions on this task?

Thanks................

I wouldnt sweat the Index.dat files, as far as using them to track you are kind of unlikely, and they really dont contain that much info.

There are 2 types for the internet, one is for cookies the other is for visited sites.

Im pretty sure ad aware removes these in there MRU list quite well.
If not MRU blaster a free program should be able to do it as well.(the same guys that made spywareguard and spywareblaster made this wilders i believe has links or google)

If you really wish to clean them out manually do the following.

**** I have never done this before tonight and am just GUESSING********

Here are my guess's, I have 2 or 3 ideas that may work.
NOTES:
For all of them set the system to show hidden files and folders.
In My computer click on Tools> Folder options> View
set it to show hidden files and show and uncheck Hide OS files.
If doing a search use Advanced options in search, showing hidden files and folders.
Most likely the index.dat files showing past internet history is in 3 locations.
One is for cookies and the other is for past sites visited, the history one as well wouldnt hurt as it retains what files you have accessed.
These should be in
c:\documents and settings\XXX\local settings\Temporary internet
c:\documents and settings\XXX\local settings\
c:\documents and settings\XXX\cookies

#1. Do a search for "index.dat"
Delete them with no open IE windows

#2. If that doesnt work
Create a new user profile in XP, turn all other profile passwords off.
Reboot
Enter that new profile.
Open IE then close it after visiting a web site or two.
Set the system to show the hiddens files explained above.
Do a search using advanced options showing hidden files and folders for "index.dat"
Delete those index.dat files, IE will regenerate them.
Note the user profile in question must not have a password to protect it.

#3, If that doesnt work then I can write a batch file to delete or replace them.

Thanks for your ideas. I hear it's very difficult to get to these index.dat files. I have nothing on my machine that shouldn't be there, it's just that over time unnecessary files etc can build up and I keep thinking about this. I want control over my computer not Billy boy Gates.

What do you think about doing it in dos?
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Copper » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:36 am

if you do delete them windows will replace them
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby kltsin » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:06 am

lol...

Your are reading to much propaganda into this, the dat files dont mean didly , scare tactics or whatever has gotten to you.

You may want to learn about XP services if you want to know more about XP.
Blackvipers site is the best still.
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby c327 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:44 am

kltsin wrote:lol...

Your are reading to much propaganda into this, the dat files dont mean didly , scare tactics or whatever has gotten to you.

You may want to learn about XP services if you want to know more about XP.
Blackvipers site is the best still.

Yes I know about Black Viper. I have talked to him in the past about other things but not since he moved into his new house not long ago.

I will do a little more research on XP but don't know how much more I will seak out since Longhorn is in the horizon and then I will have to start learning all over again.

PS: If the index.dat files are written over with zero's will Windows still rebuild what was there?

Thanks...............
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby kltsin » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:15 pm

I believe its a text file just named a dat so not sure, deleting it seems to work fine with no repurcussions.
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security