AVG 7.0 Anti Virus

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Got sidetracked by page one...

Postby Toby B. » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:34 am

kltsin wrote:
Toby B. wrote:Second - Has anyone that is currently using the free version of AVG 7.x experienced any problem with sending email via outlook express. I am using XP Pro SP2 with AVG 7.x (Free edition). Everytime I try and either send mail or reply I get an immediately rejection email saying that "that is not in my rctp hosts list" or something to that nature.


I dont see how this would apply to AVG, it seems more to direct to outlook express settings and your ISP than anything else.


Well I only noticed this problem after upgrading to SP2.
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master
 
Posts: 14277
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Maine

AVG

Postby lannaheim » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:08 am

Thanks for fixing the silly things. As for the problem, I have gotten very excited about THINKING that I have installed the e-mail-incoming-checking settings with AVG perfectly, and the clients haven't complained, but (a) I haven't yet had a client say "Gee! I saw my anti-virus program at work on my e-mail!" or (b) I haven't had a client tell me that their Outlook is screwey after installation.

Clearly I need to follow up on the clients upon whose computers I have installed AVG to work with Outlook or Outlook Express (my distaste for MS products has been previously noted in a multiplicity of angles) (but I live with REALITY , which means having to deal with MS every day) to see whether they are having such an issue, and if not, why my setup is successful. Or mine is a failure. Or the guy had to be a total banana truck...
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
--- Groucho Marx

A member of Folding Team number 33258 for a cure for PARKINSONS DISEASE
lannaheim
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:31 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Postby Toby B. » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:16 am

I just got my problem figured out... My outgoing mail server requires the full user name (i.e. user_name@domain.xxx)

:oops:
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master
 
Posts: 14277
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Maine

Re: Got sidetracked by page one...

Postby evasive » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:16 am

Toby B. wrote:
kltsin wrote:
Toby B. wrote:Second - Has anyone that is currently using the free version of AVG 7.x experienced any problem with sending email via outlook express. I am using XP Pro SP2 with AVG 7.x (Free edition). Everytime I try and either send mail or reply I get an immediately rejection email saying that "that is not in my rctp hosts list" or something to that nature.


I dont see how this would apply to AVG, it seems more to direct to outlook express settings and your ISP than anything else.


Well I only noticed this problem after upgrading to SP2.


I think SP2 enables the firewall by default, check your settings!
We hate rut, but we fear change.
********************************
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master
 
Posts: 37389
Joined: Sun May 06, 2001 12:01 am
Location: Netherlands

Postby evasive » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:19 am

ah, forgot the basics. oh well, still can't hurt to check firewall settings...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
********************************
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master
 
Posts: 37389
Joined: Sun May 06, 2001 12:01 am
Location: Netherlands

Postby Toby B. » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:29 am

evasive wrote:ah, forgot the basics. oh well, still can't hurt to check firewall settings...
Yeah, I am working on that...

Trying to get the damned firewall sorted out as part of my network project.... :roll:
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master
 
Posts: 14277
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Maine

SP2

Postby lannaheim » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:30 am

Checking settings...cool, very good, and WHILE YOU'RE THERE, DON'T FORGET to turn OFF the stupid SP2 default setting that does NOT allow one to see attachments. Now, that's a brilliant way to prevent trojans, viruses, etc -- just make it so they can't open attachments! This is under tools, security... or some other damn thing; but you'll find it and weep. SP2 caused some incredible @#$! ups (am I allowed to say that here?) since they obviously jumped the gun again...
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
--- Groucho Marx

A member of Folding Team number 33258 for a cure for PARKINSONS DISEASE
lannaheim
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:31 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Postby beeboy » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:26 am

I have to admit that I'm an Avast fanatic. Never had a virus or any other problem with it.
But, because of the popularity of Avg, I installed it in another machine. It works just fine too but only time will tell.
It is much simpler, with less features than Avast but thats ok.
beeboy
Black Belt
Black Belt
 
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:55 pm
Location: Canada

Re: SP2

Postby bdub » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:45 am

Lannaheim wrote:Checking settings...cool, very good, and WHILE YOU'RE THERE, DON'T FORGET to turn OFF the stupid SP2 default setting that does NOT allow one to see attachments. Now, that's a brilliant way to prevent trojans, viruses, etc -- just make it so they can't open attachments! This is under tools, security... or some other damn thing; but you'll find it and weep. SP2 caused some incredible @#$! ups (am I allowed to say that here?) since they obviously jumped the gun again...


lannaheim, IMHO, sp2 is a godsend. only problems occur on fouled up systems and upgrades. outlook express should have been condemned a long time ago, even before the "iloveyou" virus. should be dismantled, IMO.
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree
 
Posts: 3653
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:12 am
Location: Washington D.C.

Postby kltsin » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:05 am

beeboy wrote:I have to admit that I'm an Avast fanatic. Never had a virus or any other problem with it.
But, because of the popularity of Avg, I installed it in another machine. It works just fine too but only time will tell.
It is much simpler, with less features than Avast but thats ok.


I just checked the virus bulletin for avast, as of now they are 100%, same as AVG.
AVG tends to be 100% though and avast dips below that on certain occasions or certain months because they are slow to react to the bug in question.
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree
 
Posts: 2792
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:05 am
Location: St. Augustine, Fl

PreviousNext

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest