AVG 7.0 Anti Virus

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby kltsin » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:48 am

evasive wrote:I was able to retrieve a new update...

You arent in the usa evasive and possibly using a different server or mirror most likely.
Also DoS attacks come at a cetain time

I just wanted people here to realise that alot of security sites come under DoS attacks ALOT.

the following have come under such attacks (Denial of Service=DoS) and have posted good info about it to help the user understand.
www.safer-networking.org comes under DoS atracks until the ISP or server fixes the issue (ps thats spybots site)
grc.com (spinrite and port scan and other stuff, just read his commentary on pc security, XP and how DoS attacks can criple a web site)

Worms were using home pcs to go to the same website sending large packets, making the site unaccesible.
Simply put is that alot of the malicious programs can be programmed after or before an install to attack a certain site at a certain time creating a DoS attack.

The blaster worm was the first most heard of this type of thing because it DoS'ed Microsoft. Not because the blaster worm was worse than others but because "WHO" it attacked.

There are millions of people helping to attack security sites every day and dont know it.
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby bdub » Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:22 pm

kltsin wrote:There are millions of people helping to attack security sites every day and dont know it.

my question is who is in the majority of peoples that help create these attacks? obviously non-av users, probably, right? and who would be in second? norton-users, avg, etc?
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby kltsin » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:10 pm

bdub wrote:
kltsin wrote:There are millions of people helping to attack security sites every day and dont know it.

my question is who is in the majority of peoples that help create these attacks? obviously non-av users, probably, right? and who would be in second? norton-users, avg, etc?

Umm people missing firewalls, I dont know.... my guess would be systems that dont update their definitions...
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby bdub » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:39 pm

good answer...

kltsin wrote:people missing firewalls, systems that dont update their definitions...

will xp's built in firewall and a hardware (router) firewall be pretty well sufficient enough to expect security from a system becoming "zombiefied", or is a third party software firewall, such as zone-alarm, really needed to ensure protection as well?

and i thought of a third group, systems that don't update from ms-updates often enough.
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby kltsin » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:52 pm

bdub wrote:good answer...

kltsin wrote:people missing firewalls, systems that dont update their definitions...

will xp's built in firewall and a hardware (router) firewall be pretty well sufficient enough to expect security from a system becoming "zombiefied", or is a third party software firewall, such as zone-alarm, really needed to ensure protection as well?

and i thought of a third group, systems that don't update from ms-updates often enough.

XP's firewall is still poor at best, you need to be able to see whats coming and going from the system easily and block it just as easily. Although free firewalls and others are either too complicated or dont allow enough control over your system they are still better than XP's.

But if a Trojan took over your explorer.exe or using a scvhost.exe by adding a few lines of code to it , a firewall wont do didley.

Good point with keep your OS updated.
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

NAV vs AVG etc...

Postby lannaheim » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:08 pm

Just reading the first page makes me nuts! I make lots of money fixing these problems. :oops: :oops:

I have perfected the art of sneakily uninstalling and reinstalling NAV 2003 each year...still works great. I am beginning to use AVG to great success where NAV fails. McAfee is junk anymore although 9+ years ago I recommended it. But these are opinions only: as well;

I agree that, even better than Mozilla Netscape, FOX Mozilla is the way to surf. Avoiding MS products at all costs. MS finally tried to cash in on the prevention of malware -- what a joke -- only 8 months too late!!! Not using MS products may ward off ravening beasts.

Everyone has their own ideas about "best" malware and AV products -- but the main thing is to either implement and update them yourself, constantly, or get the client/user to always update and run them. It's about educating the client, unless you want to spend all your time REFORMATTING, which is always a solution but "might it have been prevented??"? Plus, as we know, clients won't pay for all those hours, since they "could buy a new computer for that" and we know it's true, and maybe we let them and we just charge for saving and transferring the data....
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
--- Groucho Marx

A member of Folding Team number 33258 for a cure for PARKINSONS DISEASE
lannaheim
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Got sidetracked by page one...

Postby lannaheim » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:14 pm

...plus I look stupid with these emoticons. Anyway, keeping EVERYTHING updated CONSTANTLY is the goal to strive for, which means constant vigilance on one's part and on behalf of one's clients as well.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
--- Groucho Marx

A member of Folding Team number 33258 for a cure for PARKINSONS DISEASE
lannaheim
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Re: Got sidetracked by page one...

Postby Toby B. » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:46 pm

Lannaheim wrote:...plus I look stupid with these emoticons. Anyway, keeping EVERYTHING updated CONSTANTLY is the goal to strive for, which means constant vigilance on one's part and on behalf of one's clients as well.

ok first off - I fixed the emoticons in your previous post. To get the hang of the use of emoticons feel free to use the test forum (thats what it is there for)....

Second - Has anyone that is currently using the free version of AVG 7.x experienced any problem with sending email via outlook express. I am using XP Pro SP2 with AVG 7.x (Free edition). Everytime I try and either send mail or reply I get an immediately rejection email saying that "that is not in my rctp hosts list" or something to that nature.
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Re: Got sidetracked by page one...

Postby kltsin » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:16 am

Toby B. wrote:Second - Has anyone that is currently using the free version of AVG 7.x experienced any problem with sending email via outlook express. I am using XP Pro SP2 with AVG 7.x (Free edition). Everytime I try and either send mail or reply I get an immediately rejection email saying that "that is not in my rctp hosts list" or something to that nature.

I dont see how this would apply to AVG, it seems more to direct to outlook express settings and your ISP than anything else.
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby evasive » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:21 am

Reinstall AVG7 and see if goes away. Don't forget to allow AVG trough the firewall sending email...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security