AVG 7.0 Anti Virus

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

AVG 7.0 Anti Virus

Postby c327 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:10 am

Have heard about AVG anti virus (free) and was wondering what others here think of it as compared to Norton Anti Virus.

Thanks...............
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: AVG 7.0 Anti Virus

Postby kltsin » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:37 am

c327 wrote:Have heard about AVG anti virus (free) and was wondering what others here think of it as compared to Norton Anti Virus.

Thanks...............

Wow this is night and day for a few reasons.

Symmantec (Norton) embeds into the OS so deep that if theres an issue with it it cant be removed and can corrupt the system instantly even if there never was a bug.

Symmantec does have great response time for new updates and new bugs though and a pretty good website for issues.
I wouldnt touch it with a ten foot pole though.

I can remove most bugs if I know they are there, if norton goes bad you are screwed, uninstalling fails most of the time in previous versions with a system that was attacked. Try to manually remove norton, you will go insane first....

Also since Norton is so popular it gets singled out for attacks, not that this should be an issue but it is. As why does MS get attacked so much, not because of the hundreds of issues in it but its popularity, okay some of the former too...
Norton and Mcafee are preinstalled on millions of pcs included in bundles from compaq/hp etc...

AVG is free, norton allows a free trial and then its a yearly subsription.

Norton never cared about spyware or malware in the past, they kept adding bs crap.
The best antivirus is still Kaspersky, its updated quicker than most.
Has the best engine, fast scanning, catches trojans better than anything except Pandas and 1 other (good as well, just cant remember what it was called).
Its interface isnt perfect but who cares, its doing the job its told to do.
well its expensive too...

but for free AVG vs norton, hands down Ill pay for AVG first on principle alone second on knowing it wont kill my system if something goes wrong.
Norton still can catch more bugs and as a 100% rate as does Kaspesky ( AVG is 90%), but not as quick and norton has been known to slow systems.
Symmantec should have strayed from recycle bin watching, defragmenting , email OE watching and just do what it was meant for.
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby colinJohn » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:06 am

I've used the freeAV programme for years - it's very good too

www.freeav.com
"that's some catch that Catch 22"
"It's the best that there is"

colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Re: AVG 7.0 Anti Virus

Postby c327 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:51 am

kltsin wrote:
c327 wrote:Have heard about AVG anti virus (free) and was wondering what others here think of it as compared to Norton Anti Virus.

Thanks...............

Wow this is night and day for a few reasons.

Symmantec (Norton) embeds into the OS so deep that if theres an issue with it it cant be removed and can corrupt the system instantly even if there never was a bug.

Symmantec does have great response time for new updates and new bugs though and a pretty good website for issues.
I wouldnt touch it with a ten foot pole though.

I can remove most bugs if I know they are there, if norton goes bad you are screwed, uninstalling fails most of the time in previous versions with a system that was attacked. Try to manually remove norton, you will go insane first....

Also since Norton is so popular it gets singled out for attacks, not that this should be an issue but it is. As why does MS get attacked so much, not because of the hundreds of issues in it but its popularity, okay some of the former too...
Norton and Mcafee are preinstalled on millions of pcs included in bundles from compaq/hp etc...

AVG is free, norton allows a free trial and then its a yearly subsription.

Norton never cared about spyware or malware in the past, they kept adding bs crap.
The best antivirus is still Kaspersky, its updated quicker than most.
Has the best engine, fast scanning, catches trojans better than anything except Pandas and 1 other (good as well, just cant remember what it was called).
Its interface isnt perfect but who cares, its doing the job its told to do.
well its expensive too...

but for free AVG vs norton, hands down Ill pay for AVG first on principle alone second on knowing it wont kill my system if something goes wrong.
Norton still can catch more bugs and as a 100% rate as does Kaspesky ( AVG is 90%), but not as quick and norton has been known to slow systems.
Symmantec should have strayed from recycle bin watching, defragmenting , email OE watching and just do what it was meant for.

Thanks for the informative reply.

My deal is this. My main computer is down with a part being rma'd. I had to dig my old Dell out of the closet to use while I wait for the part to come back. This back up machine's NAV has long since expired and I didn't want to buy an AV just for a few weeks or so.

You rang a bell when you said NAV is hard to remove. Years back I was unable to do just that and it would not accept my new NAV, I had to reinstall the OS. Since then I have not had a problem uninstalling it, possibly just lucky. One time I had to use their removal tool but it worked. My main computer I built and just the thought of reinstalling all of the drivers again will cause me to start drinking again. NAV is so imbedded just like AOL it seems and greedy also.

I downloaded AVG free version. I ran Adaware SE and Spybot 1.3 all came back clear. I installed AVG and it returned 1 virus and 1 Trojan Dialer. Went to safe mode with system restore disabled and ran them all again and it all was removed.

I have been reading other posters comments about AVG free and it seems like everyone who first uses it comes up with finding a couple of things that needs to be deleted. I'm wondering if AVG plants things like this in their download just so it can show new users that it will find bad things, hoping that the new user will buy the pay version?

I don't mind paying the freight for things I want and use but am getting tired after all these years of eating salami sandwiches.

I wonder if the pay version of AVG is any better than the free version? I have dial-up so I guess im not as much at risk as if I had high speed IS.

I never heard of Kaspersky. You say it's not perfect but then again who and what is?

Regards...................
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby colinJohn » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:09 am

you can give yourself even more protection with a good firewall like zonealarm, which is also free.

If you're running those spyware programmes (I would also recommend microsofts spyware beta - free for now at least), plus one good virus guard (AVR is fine) plus a firewall you're as safe as you're going to be.

You do need to keep them updated tho' - also win xp.

Try using the free browser - firefox - not only is it a better browser than IE but it's also more secure.

colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby c327 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:39 am

colinJohn wrote:you can give yourself even more protection with a good firewall like zonealarm, which is also free.

If you're running those spyware programmes (I would also recommend microsofts spyware beta - free for now at least), plus one good virus guard (AVR is fine) plus a firewall you're as safe as you're going to be.

You do need to keep them updated tho' - also win xp.

Try using the free browser - firefox - not only is it a better browser than IE but it's also more secure.

I was thinking of Zone Alarm std or pro also but am not certain if it will work or is a good idea with Dialup service?
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby colinJohn » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:41 am

yes - it's fine with dial-up. just use the free one. down load the manual too; you'll probably need to check it now and then until you get used to it.

colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby c327 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:43 pm

colinJohn wrote:yes - it's fine with dial-up. just use the free one. down load the manual too; you'll probably need to check it now and then until you get used to it.

Ok thanks, I will do that.................
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby kltsin » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:33 am

I have been reading other posters comments about AVG free and it seems like everyone who first uses it comes up with finding a couple of things that needs to be deleted. I'm wondering if AVG plants things like this in their download just so it can show new users that it will find bad things, hoping that the new user will buy the pay version?

I doubt it.
Ive installed other hard drives in my systems and scanned them and found things that Norton missed, mostly becuase the users hadnt update it or ran it often enough.
Theres not many differences to avg free as to the paid for version and really no reason to purchase it.
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby c327 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:16 am

kltsin wrote:

I doubt it.
Ive installed other hard drives in my systems and scanned them and found things that Norton missed, mostly becuase the users hadnt update it or ran it often enough.
Theres not many differences to avg free as to the paid for version and really no reason to purchase it.

I am using AVG free version now for a few days and have no issues with it. So far a thumbs up. As time goes on I will get a better feel for it. I certainly don't like the claws Symantec installs on ones system. Had one bad experience with that and I don't want to revisit something like that again.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Next

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security