Antispyware

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby nascarfool.com » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:35 pm

I "own" Giant AntiSpyware for another 269 days. It was well worth $30. :wink:
My Trading References
Like Nascar ? Come visit and talk about your favorite driver.
nascarfool.com
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby colinJohn » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:18 pm

I "own" Giant AntiSpyware for another 269 days. It was well worth $30. Wink

now that is an interesting point; given that microsoft just bought giantspyware and rebadged it, then gave it away for free, what happens to the people who actually paid for it?
Last edited by colinJohn on Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"that's some catch that Catch 22"
"It's the best that there is"

colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby The Dom » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:27 pm

Now that we got the micosoft one for free I think we all should pitch in and send nascarfool a dollar. :lol: Seriously, why do ya all pay for anti virus and spam ware? When ya got adaware,spybot, avast,avg,etc. Just curious.
Dell xps 410, Vista, 4 gig mem,8800gtx, e6600
68 year old gamer enjoying life

Never have children, only grandchildren. ~Gore Vidal
The Dom
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby nascarfool.com » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:59 pm

The Dom wrote:Now that we got the micosoft one for free I think we all should pitch in and send nascarfool a dollar. :lol: Seriously, why do ya all pay for anti virus and spam ware? When ya got adaware,spybot, avast,avg,etc. Just curious.

You ask why ? ? Go download the 15 day trial of Giant AntiSpyware and run it after you run the programs you already have installed. :wink:
My Trading References
Like Nascar ? Come visit and talk about your favorite driver.
nascarfool.com
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby kltsin » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:21 am

The Dom wrote:Now that we got the micosoft one for free I think we all should pitch in and send nascarfool a dollar. :lol: Seriously, why do ya all pay for anti virus and spam ware? When ya got adaware,spybot, avast,avg,etc. Just curious.

Dont forget spybot is donationware, If you like it and use it send them some money. Adaware kind of used to be like this but they are pushing the paid version pretty hard.

nascarfool.com wrote:

You ask why ? ? Go download the 15 day trial of Giant AntiSpyware and run it after you run the programs you already have installed. :wink:

Hmm, run free adaware or spybot after you have run windows anti spyware beta...
(I recently tested it out on a users machine, rebooted and ran it again in safe mode with out doing anything else prior like I normally do)
They found a few missing entries that Giant originaly missed, 2 nasty versions of Coolweb, were completely untouched, spybot caught parts of it and a few others , after the fact found 7 critical items.
Coolweb shredder found the rest and cleaned up the system nicely, all 3 missed it!!!!! (and these are huge issues as they attack anti spyware if left running). (Coolwebshredder was developed by merjin the maker of HiJackthis but sold the rights to spyware hunter I think, anywho its still free)

It works both ways though.

Anti Spyware protection should be layered since there are so many varients. Some compaines deal with some varients better than others. Some update quicker.

This is the third thread on this same topic.

Does anyone know if this will be a free program offered by M$ after the beta version is done with.

Will Micro$oft continue to not fix holes but add programs to fix them?

EDIT:

If you used spybot S&D's Tea Timer which watches over the registry you can stop any thing from taking over!!!! Its a great utility although a pain in the ass everytime something edits the registry it doesnt know, which can be often.
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby EmilyB » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:20 am

colinJohn wrote:
I "own" Giant AntiSpyware for another 269 days. It was well worth $30. Wink

now that is an interesting point; given that microsoft just bought giantspyware and rebadged it, then gave it away for free, what happens to the people who actually paid for it?

Lets just be clear about this. The AntiSpyware from Microsoft IS NOT FREE!!! At the moment, and probably for the next 6 months, it is in "BETA" which means it has not been officially released, but has been made public for test use only. If you read the EULA its all in there. When it is finally released, I will bet as sure as eggs are eggs, there will be a price attached. Further more, if you actually install and run it, you will clearly see, there is an expiry clock ticking, and it tells you how many days are remaining. The last time I looked (yesterday) my installation had 186 days remaining, and the written advice is "Please contact Mcrosoft for an updated version".

Make no mistake, this tool is not free. Then again, we all now Microsofts unpredictability, and they surprise me and give the final release away free, but personally I doubt it.
EmilyB

Postby don'tknowmuch » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:14 am

M$$ anti-spyware is still nothing to write home about. Ran Spybot and Adaware on some customers rigs and it picked up quite a few that M$$ anti-spyware missed. I think they have a way to go yet :D
don'tknowmuch
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby evasive » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:27 pm

They will all mis bits and pieces, run pestpatrol after SB S&D/A-A or spysweeper or whatever. At this moment there's no catch-all for spyware. It will take some time like it did in the old days for virusscanners...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby kltsin » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:42 pm

evasive wrote:They will all mis bits and pieces, run pestpatrol after SB S&D/A-A or spysweeper or whatever. At this moment there's no catch-all for spyware. It will take some time like it did in the old days for virusscanners...

I somehow doubt anti-spyware will be able to keep up, its big business and making money for alot of people and skirts just inside the law (mostly outside the law though). A Virus was usually a single individuals attempt at wreaking havoc (DoS attacks, gathering info, crashing systems, etc) mostly for notoriety in their "community", EGO based mostly.

Until the Governments step in and make it so it would be illegal to have a program with a 10,000 word EULA and not 'easily' notify users of whats being installed and or better yet have a seperate install program for each peice of bundled software, and all should be easily uninstalled.

The most dangerous programs of course install behind your back, some of these fall in the Trojan or Worm category and SHOULD be picked up by anti-virus but often most anti-spyware programs find them first.....

The others that install via activeX or VBScripts can be easily avoided if M$ would STOP allowing it in there browsers a major reason why mozilla and Opera based browsers are so popular.

Also if spywareguard/spywareblaster, ie-spyad, spybot etc can make a list of sites which (when installed on your pc) they can block why can't a government step in and shut those sites down... Or why doesnt M$ include it in updates, CRITICAL UPDATES. Or at least include/update a stupid host file, anyone could write one in a text editor in 5 minutes....

Sorry if Im rambling, I almost forgot where I was going with this....
Oh yeah..

Spyware/Malware is just getting nastier and harder to remove and newer versions/varients are coming quicker than any virus ever has.

Layer up people
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby don'tknowmuch » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:59 pm

Tried this a few months ago, even installed it on a couple of customers rigs..........their not frequenting the shop as much these days :lol: seems to work quite well along with all the other anti-spyware software :roll:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
don'tknowmuch
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

PreviousNext

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security