beware of scam eBay email

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

beware of scam eBay email

Postby evasive » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:23 am

there's one that looks really legitimate about re-entering your account info, but the links inside points to some Korean address instead of ebay.com. It is pretty neatly made this time.

We regret to inform you that your eBay account could be suspended if you don't re-update your account information.
To resolve this problems please click here and re-enter your account information. If your problems could not be resolved your account will be suspended for a period of 24 hours, after this period your account will be terminated.

For the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us. We may also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us.

Due to the suspension of this account, please be advised you are prohibited from using eBay in any way. This includes the registering of a new account. Please note that this suspension does not relieve you of your agreed-upon obligation to pay any fees you may owe to eBay.

Regards,
Safeharbor Department eBay, Inc
The eBay team. This is an automatic message.
Please do not reply.

Here's what is under the click here link:
Code: Select all
http://211.172.208.4/signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dllSignIn&favoritenav=&sid=&ruproduct=&pp=&co_partnerId=2&ru=&i1=&ruparas=&pageType=&pa2=&bshowgif=&pa1=&pUserId=&erams=&pageType=&pa2=&bshowgif=&pa1=&pUserId=&errmsg=&UsingSSL=&runame=&siteid=0/" target=_blank><FONT face=arial color=#0000ff

211.172.208.4 = [ ] (www.nic.or.kr) Whois
query: 211.172.208.4
ENGLISH
KRNIC is not a ISP but a National Internet Registry similar to APNIC.
The followings are information of the organization that is using the IPv4 address.
IPv4 Address : 211.172.208.0-211.172.208.255
Network Name : KNCTV-INFRA
Connect ISP Name : KNCTV
Connect Date : 20000814
Registration Date : 20031020
[ Organization Information ]
Organization ID : ORG130458
Org Name : KangNam CableTV
State : Seoul
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Ryn » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:48 am

i have received one of these lousy emails. they say my account on ebay will expire eventhough i do not have an account there :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ryn
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby c327 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:19 am

Interesting. Also of interest is that recently I received 4 emails that looked just like they came from ebay but not like the one you mention.

I reported them all to ebay. Ebay got back to me and said they were all fraudulent.

Talk about on line banking..........forget about it.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby EmilyB » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:53 am

evasive what are the consequences of being fooled by this? Does it do any physical damage, your put the "victim" onto a mailing list or what?
EmilyB

Postby evasive » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:02 pm

you are asked for your ebay name and password right?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Toby B. » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:29 pm

yup got one of these the other day. I have been seeing my share of emials from banks too....

1.) I do not have an account on ebay
2.) I do not have an account with any bank that has online access.
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby tommie j » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:05 pm

i received one the otherday saying that another email address had been added to my paypal accound. they wanted me to paste a link into my browser.....man they dont give up. important to remember that ebay and paypal will NEVER ask for personal info via email.

tommie j
I bailed, moved to puerto rico ,lifes too short!
tommie j
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby dallascisco » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:16 pm

To answer your question emily, no physical damage can be done but someone could steal your username and password and be able to log in as you. They could then charge up a bunch of stuff and have it sent to another address as they can change your account settings. It is also likely they could get into your paypal account. Not to mention ruining your credit.
dallascisco
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby c327 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:18 am

EmilyB wrote:evasive what are the consequences of being fooled by this? Does it do any physical damage, your put the "victim" onto a mailing list or what?

The consequences are that Ivan from the Russian MAFIA will clean out your bank account and or buy things under your account.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby EmilyB » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:22 am

c327 wrote:
EmilyB wrote:evasive what are the consequences of being fooled by this? Does it do any physical damage, your put the "victim" onto a mailing list or what?

The consequences are that Ivan from the Russian MAFIA will clean out your bank account and or buy things under your account.

Oh is that all, and I thought it was serious :P (joke)

Ok, to be honest I didnt understand it at first, but know I do, thanks :oops: :oops: :oops:
EmilyB

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security