Spyware Stormer

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Spyware Stormer

Postby Petey970Z » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:59 am

A pop-up window called Spyware Stormer has appeared on two computers I've worked on. This is the antithesis of what spyware program is supposed to be. It is spyware, and it tries to knock out your using Spybot, Microsofts Antispyware, and probably others.

This could be dangerous especially for non-advanced users who wouldn't know the difference between a legit or pirated versions of spyware.

Just thought I'd pass this along.

There's alot of reading about it in Google if your interested.
Petey sends......
Petey970Z
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby EmilyB » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:01 am

Thank you Petey970Z. I will try and googlise some information. This sounds like a real pain in ass for people and not just novices :(
EmilyB

Postby Ghen » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:19 am

Unfortunately there are a couple of these companies out there.. Even ones that still show a select number of pop-ups after you install on your computer. I guess they figure its less than before, but it goes against the grain.

Good thing everyone that comes here gets good advice on programs to use.. Namely Ad-Aware SE and Spybot S&D. Spysweeper and Pest patrol are good too, but you pay for 'em.
ImageImageImage
Ghen
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Myth » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:05 am

Thanks Petey. My mom / brother's computer seems to feed on stuff like this. I've installed all the typical programs and showed my mom how to run them but their machine gets infected all the time with all sorts of junk. I visit them every year or two and spend a good portion of a day cleaning things up so they get a fresh start.
Myth
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security