Kaspersky vs MS Windows 10 Defender

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Kaspersky vs MS Windows 10 Defender

Postby c327 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:36 am

This pertains to a Windows 10 Pro x64 PC that has Malwarebytes Premium installed (pay version).

This probably is a no brainer but I figured I would ask any way. Probably for a free anti virus utility I guess Defender does a fair job but just how far does fair go assuming one does not do risky browsing etc. You can't beat free or can you ? A buy isn't always a buy.
Looking at Kaspersky Internet Security @ $100. for 3 computers for 3 years and if I am close to being correct that doesn't sound bad but in looking at what it does I don't see anything that spells out protection against ransomware attacks ???? which I have concerns with.

Believe it or not earlier this year my XP Pro PC got hit with a ransom attack and I was only on CNN's website and clicked on an article within it and that was it. I also see Bit Defender as being a good pay utility ???
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Kaspersky vs MS Windows 10 Defender

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:12 am

While 'freeware' programs do give minimal security protection, a purchased program is more secure and may have more features. The price for a 3-system package for 3 years is good. AVG has a similar offer.
But the Caveat Emptor (buyer beware) also applies to curiosity of Web pages and links! Unsavory sites can drop a Trojan Horse in your system before you are aware, or a snoopy virus that sends your personal info public.
Any major Web site is susceptible to a hacking attempt, but their security level is many times higher than personal setups. Yet somehow a hacker might get in! Ads posted on sites may not have been fully screened for security or legitimacy.
No one is totally immune from Web hackers and malware.
One of the nastiest attacks is the DDoS or 'distributed denial of service", where hundreds or thousands of field users log on to the site at once, overwhelming the host capacity.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:08 am

Karlsweldt wrote:While 'freeware' programs do give minimal security protection, a purchased program is more secure and may have more features. The price for a 3-system package for 3 years is good. AVG has a similar offer.
But the Caveat Emptor (buyer beware) also applies to curiosity of Web pages and links! Unsavory sites can drop a Trojan Horse in your system before you are aware, or a snoopy virus that sends your personal info public.
Any major Web site is susceptible to a hacking attempt, but their security level is many times higher than personal setups. Yet somehow a hacker might get in! Ads posted on sites may not have been fully screened for security or legitimacy.
No one is totally immune from Web hackers and malware.
One of the nastiest attacks is the DDoS or 'distributed denial of service", where hundreds or thousands of field users log on to the site at once, overwhelming the host capacity.

I agree that a full featured pay version anti virus utility like Kaspersky or Bit Defender to name two is probably better than any free anti virus utility but I was wondering since I have Malwarebytes Premium a pay utility installed plus the standard Microsoft Defender anti virus as it comes with Windows 10 pro x64 just how much more protection I would have if I added Kaspersky's pay version of their Internet Security utility if any and if it did would the added protection justify the added cost?

I also realize that nothing is 100% with any of this. The thing is to get protected as best you can and don't go looking for trouble when browsing the Internet
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Roach412 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:35 pm

I'd think defender and Kaspersky(or any other installed AV) would not like living together. I could be totally wrong, but it's normally a no-no to have two "competing" AV engines...

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:59 pm

Web 'hackers' is the main concern when browsing. All security programs have (or should have) that firewall protection. Plus an anti-root kit detector, system file scanner, and daily updates of the known viral list. But freeware programs may not have Email protection or personal ID protection. The firewall feature of freeware programs is not as strong as that of a purchased program.. even from the same company!
As Roach412 noted, not a good idea to have two or more AV and firewall services active. They compete for dominant status, and can slow a system down.
Link to some of the best security programs.. https://bestantivirus.reviews/
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:41 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Web 'hackers' is the main concern when browsing. All security programs have (or should have) that firewall protection. Plus an anti-root kit detector, system file scanner, and daily updates of the known viral list. But freeware programs may not have Email protection or personal ID protection. The firewall feature of freeware programs is not as strong as that of a purchased program.. even from the same company!
As Roach412 noted, not a good idea to have two or more AV and firewall services active. They compete for dominant status, and can slow a system down.
Link to some of the best security programs.. https://bestantivirus.reviews/

Not sure if you understand what I was asking? I have no intentions of having both Kaspersky and Bit Defender installed.

It would be Malwarebytes Premium and Microsoft Defender OR Malwarebytes Premium and Kaspersky Internet Security. Microsoft Defender is disabled when another anti virus is present.

Just trying to get a few opinions about if it's worth it to spend $100. On Kaspersky internet Security utility if it's not going to do anything more significant than what I already have in Malwarebytes Premium and Microsoft Defender in Windows 10
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:58 am

Compare features of programs you want to use. One program that 'does all' or 99% of needs would be the singular choice.
What is offered by Microsoft could be a licensed (and possibly rewritten) version from another company.
Your thought about not having near-identical programs active and competing is true.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security