Google search keeps redirecting me, HELP please!

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Google search keeps redirecting me, HELP please!

Postby ranger16701columbus » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:30 pm

I have no clue what is going on, but every time I do a search on google, and then go to one of the search results web sites listed, I keep getting redirected to some off the wall web site! I do not know what I have, but I feel it is some type of virus.
I have AVG free, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware free installed, and not one of them picked up anything other than SuperAntiSpyware always picks up tracking cookies. So I am at a loss as to what I should do. I did have one pop up about a week ago that came out of nowhere telling my my computer was infected with viruses and spyware, but it was for some program and free scan it wanted me to run. When I clicked on the "close" tab in the upper right corner, it started running a scan with "virus" warnings popping up faster than I could close the program. After clicking the "close" button a few times, it did close before it had ran all the way through. I am thinking that maybe that was when some crap program was installed on this machine. In any event, for the past several days I have been getting redirected every time I click a search result when I use google.
I am not totally computer illiterate, and I am able to keep this computer clean "most" of the time. But this time, I would have thought running those three programs and scanning this computer several times doing a thorough scan would have revealed something.
Please help me if you can, and once again, thanks for your help in advance!
ranger16701columbus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby fussnfeathers » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:36 pm

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic122119.html

There's one way to get rid of your problem.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:33 pm

stuff that redirects through DNS settings usually includes a rootkit -> reinstall needed. Keep a very close eye on your system or consider yourself lucky...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby AmEv » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:24 pm

:mb_rant::
Sad part about it is? It displays XP, no matter what OS you run.
Yep.
|
|
V

I have run into it with fresh installs, too, so it could be completely Web-based.
Don't you just LOVE how it is able to scan a 250GB HDD completely in 5 seconds?

It mainly occurs when I am trying to find info about some of my video cards.
Perhaps I could try finding it again and reporting it, since it is a Win malware.....
Maybe not, just to be safe.
I'm gonna get my new hardware. And my worklog here.
AmEv
Black Belt
Black Belt

Location: Wanting to be at these forums, but not as active as they

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:38 am

evasive wrote:stuff that redirects through DNS settings usually includes a rootkit -> reinstall needed. Keep a very close eye on your system or consider yourself lucky...

Nah, I got hit with that one right after it hit the web......dunno how, I'm pretty careful about where I surf. It's a browser hijacker trojan, but it only works on Google, MSN, and Yahoo. I was able to get rid of it pretty quickly, once I read in a page snippet that it only worked on those three search engines. I forget what I used to find the solution, then.......one of the older ones still kicking around. Excite, I think.

*edit* Awake now, now I remember. I DID use Google, but don't click the links for the search results. Just copy and paste the link into the browser address bar. You'll get to the page that way.

Google "google redirect" and you'll get a boatload of results. The one I posted up above is pretty much the most widely used. Only takes a couple of minutes to clean out, and you're good as new.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security