Locking down Windows XP

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Locking down Windows XP

Postby filecore » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:20 am

Okay, I'm doing voluntary technical/network support for a small non-profit organisation, and there are several desktops and laptops. The desktops are fine, but users keep installing crap onto the laptops, which is causing a headache. I know you can modify security parameters via GPOs, but I this will be a little bit of a headache to implement on all machines.

1) is there a way to roll out GPO changes remotely and in batches (such as remotely applying a registry edit (*.reg)) to the machines?

2) is there some recommended management software to do this? So far I've been pointed to X-Setup for this stuff, but it's a commercial program and we're non-profit. Hints and tips would be useful.

I'm used to admining machines that are either a) easily physically accessible, or b) few in number, but my old methods aren't quite keeping up here. Thanks!
Home server: Asus P5Q Pro, Core2Quad, 8GB DDR2, ENGTX260 876MB, Zalman 800w, Antec P180 case, 2x1TB and 2x2TB Samsung Spinpoint F1, Windows 7 64-bit, etc

Work server: HP ProLiant ML350 G6, hexacore Xeon E5645 2.4GHz (12 logical cores), 16GB DDR3, 3x300GB SAS RAID5, Server 2008 R2, nVidia GT560Ti 1GB for Hyper-V RemoteFX acceleration
filecore
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:39 am

The easiest way is to take all the laptops, set up limited user accounts that do not allow the user to install software, and give new logins/passwords. If you add the user control snap-in, you can then set rules that will allow users to modify existing files (save Word docs and the like) but will NOT allow them to install anything.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security