Vista (ugh) best low-profile, effective antivirus

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Vista (ugh) best low-profile, effective antivirus

Postby lannaheim » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:57 am

Since I so seldom deal with any Vista computers, I need advice on a good low-profile (as in, not using much memory, not interfering every ten minutes with some query about system change, etc) anti-virus program. It does not have to have anti-spyware built in, we already have that. Is AVG Free okay? What uses the least resources for the best virus-patrol and destruction, and updates automatically?

I welcome all suggestions.

Thank you in advance.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
--- Groucho Marx

A member of Folding Team number 33258 for a cure for PARKINSONS DISEASE
lannaheim
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Mr T » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:09 am

Two I use on Vista 32bit and 64bit... Either AVG free or Avira antivirus... Free and download them from filehippo... I also use Malwarebytes antimalware and superantispyware - both free...

All run fine on vista and don't bog it down....
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

good thoughts

Postby lannaheim » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:29 am

More suggestions? (Mr. T is good, but not the only bear in the woods.) I use both those products and like them very much, but am looking for favorites from everyone who has to deal with Vista.

Thanks
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
--- Groucho Marx

A member of Folding Team number 33258 for a cure for PARKINSONS DISEASE
lannaheim
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Copper » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:02 pm

i use Avast its free, and you just install and forget, been using it for a good few years with no problems
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby TriAngle » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:32 pm

I personally use ZoneAlarm's Internet Security Suite 2009 (retail) on my Vista rig. 2 operating system firewalls, 1 software firewall, antivirus, anti-spyware/malware/crapware, plus contains about 5 other programs.
It is very fast, and doesn't 'hog' resources or slow down the system. Costs around $40/year.

I have also used Comodo's Internet Security (FREE) which contains a firewall and antivirus. No problems on Vista, or Windows 7, or XP.

I have used and do also currently use SUPERAntiSpyware on XP and Vista, but does not work on Windows 7.
I also use Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware on Vista, XP and Windows 7, no problems.
"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
TriAngle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Spark » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:39 am

Can't say anything bad about AVG. It's on 3 of my PC's and it never failed me yet.
Spark
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby evasive » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:28 am

from version 8.5 it is using more memory, on some 512MB rigs this is becoming a problem. Switched to Avira or Avast, either works nicely.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:47 pm

Avast here, on Win2K (yes, that oldie!), XP Pro, Vista (forget which one, work laptop), and Win7 RC. Switched from AVG, primarily after I got nailed in a site load virus payload that AVG totally failed on, and after it got to be such a hog that my mom's cheapie XP rig slowed to a crawl (I mean, ten minutes to start up, totally inexcusable).

But yeah, Avast Free and Malwarebytes have been good with me. Speedy, frequent updates, no extra "benefits" like firewalls you don't need if you run a router.......
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security