Post Virus Removal-Login and PW problems Firefox

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Post Virus Removal-Login and PW problems Firefox

Postby dpnaugle » Sat May 30, 2009 10:16 am

Hi All,

My system was recently infected with a Trojan horse (Agent_r.NJ). Through a combination using of AVG, drweb-cuteit, and spybot, the file(s) were removed from my system.

AVG support had me run and submit several reports and determined that the computer is no longer infected. AVG did not ever confirm that the system was infected rather that their analysis shows it is not infected now.

Anyway, there seems to be some residual settings issues with Firefox. Most of the log in sites that I regularly visit now requires that I enter the log in and PW every time. They do not remember me.

If I haven't closed the browser or maybe not shut down it will remember me sometimes, but not always. If I shut down it it always prompts me to re-enter the Login and PW.

Hotmail is the main offender as it requires that I enter my email and PW nearly every time.

I have run many virus detection utilities and not found anything. I have tried to reset Firefox settings but it does not correct the problem.

Any ideas?

Thx

Don
Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6,
Intel E8500 @ 3.16GHz-Hyper TX2,
Corsair 4x1G-XMS2 @ 4-4-4-12,
XFX 8800 GTS 512,
WD 500GB, Plextor 712A,
Win 7 64 Pro, NeoPower Blue 650
Dell 2001FP 20.1 LCD
dpnaugle
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:16 am

Well, I can't offer much - but based on responses to date, perhaps I may be able to help or at least not waste much of your time...

Cookies are where Login stuff may be stored - unless you are using AutoComplete (which I won't use because it stores passwords on HD, sort of defeating the purpose...). It would be Cookies for Hotmail's 'Remember Me' and 'Log me on automatically'. I know because I periodically remove all cookies, then I need to enter everything (I prefer to only have to enter passwords).

Sounds like Firefox is deleting all Cookies when it's closed (?) Or possibly not storing cookies at all (?). Deleting all offline content would have no effect, because Cookies are not considered 'Content'.
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:10 pm

Select Tools from the top bar, then Options. From the top tab Security you can check the box to remember passwords, if not already checked. Look at the 'exceptions' page. Also 'saved passwords'. Some may be duplicated, and will not be presented when needed. Delete any duplicates.
You can clear all passwords and private data, and start a new memory listing of passwords and user names.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby CustomPCMAX » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:09 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:You can clear all passwords and private data, and start a new memory listing of passwords and user names.

This is probably the easiest solution.
CustomPCMAX
Initiate
Initiate

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security