Lavasoft (Adaware) Deleting Question

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Lavasoft (Adaware) Deleting Question

Postby Spark » Fri May 29, 2009 1:34 am

I have Adaware installed (Lavasoft). I want to remove it and install a newer version. I would rather not put one version over another. It does not show in the Add/Remove Programs list?

I searched for it and found it in the Program Files folder. I am unable to remove it in the normal way. I get a message that says " These files are hidden. The folder contains files that keep your system working properly. You should not modify it's contents"

I never ran into something like this before where I was unable to remove something that I installed. Will removing this damage this PC in some way.

Will someone explain to me what is going on here and if it's OK to remove this and if so the proper way. Thanks.......
Spark
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri May 29, 2009 7:20 am

If the program does not show in the 'Add/Remove Programs' listing, then it does not create an embedded Registry entry. Within the program's folder there should be an "Unwise.exe" or "Uninst.exe" file that will remove it.
No, you will not do damage to the system or any other files. The program just doesn't want to be kicked out of its cozy nook!
There are many updates and revisions to such programming, and in many cases when you purchase the full program version over the freeware or shareware version, the install will do a verification of files and create a COA (license) key within the program. Similar to many "free" AV programs.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Spark » Sat May 30, 2009 2:10 am

Karlsweldt wrote:If the program does not show in the 'Add/Remove Programs' listing, then it does not create an embedded Registry entry. Within the program's folder there should be an "Unwise.exe" or "Uninst.exe" file that will remove it.
No, you will not do damage to the system or any other files. The program just doesn't want to be kicked out of its cozy nook!
There are many updates and revisions to such programming, and in many cases when you purchase the full program version over the freeware or shareware version, the install will do a verification of files and create a COA (license) key within the program. Similar to many "free" AV programs.

I had a feeling that is what it was about. I looked in the Lavasoft folder and the files you mentioned are not there.

In Program Files there is a folder called Lavasoft, in this folder there is a sub folder called Adaware and in this folder there are 3 files. the pc won't let me delete this folder or its 3 files. I checked to see if it was write protected and it is not. I tried to delete them in Safe Mode and still a no go.

I picked through the registry and deleted everything Lavasoft and still this folder remains in Program Files. Two of these 3 files are .dll and the other is a .exe file.

I am seeing aawservice.exe and it won't let me remove it. This seems worse than trying to remove AOL or Symantec stuff.

Thanks..........
Spark
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:04 am

Have you tried to change file attributes using Command Line ATTRIB to reset Read Only ?

Also, you may check SERVICES to see if aawservice is running - try to stop it and set it to DISABLE.

To see options for ATTRIB, pick a file or folder name and enter (for example):
>ATTRIB CONFIG.SYS /?

The /? will cause a list of possible parameters, but I can't Copy and paste them (oh, yeah - I could 'pipe' the response to a file etc. but I'm too lazy).
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:14 pm

Windows will not readily show the attributes of files. The only sure way is with the 'command' box, then use the input [attrib *\*.*{path, file name}]. The older DOS commands to remove attributes will still work.. /a for archived, /s for system, /h for hidden and /r for read-only. Some files will not reset until you use the entire argument string.. [attrib -r -a -s -h *\*.*{path, file name}].
But any file that is active cannot be deleted. Check the Task Manager to see if it is active, and then close it. There may be other processes linked with it, as part of a background activity. It may not show in the "Start Up" path of the programs menu, but may be listed in the start-up configuration for the OS. Possibly also a Registry key to use the file.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security