frethog or infostealer.gampass

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

frethog or infostealer.gampass

Postby BicycleMonkey » Wed May 13, 2009 5:38 pm

I discovered this trojan on my computer and then discovered it had invaded my flash drive and was being copied to every PC I used my flash drive on. basically it's just malware to pick up WoW and other online game account info.

No big deal, so I format my HDD and my flash drive and reload WinXP. This computer now seems to be clean. The strange thing is that I was working on a friends PC at my shop and did a format/reinstall, installed drivers, then Anti-Virus and immediately it was infected with this same annoyance! I hadn't even opened a web browser yet.

Where can this infection be coming from? My AV real-time protection has found it on three PCs so far. I did a format/reinstall on those three and it still pops up on any new PC I do a Win reload on.

Is this something that could be hiding in one PC and jump over the local office network? I was speaking to a guy who mentioned something about routers becoming host to malware, any truth to this?

thx!
alliedtechnwa.com
BicycleMonkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu May 14, 2009 9:41 am

Routers and hubs don't have memory that is accessible by other than internal working needs. Those nasties can only be eliminated by doing the standard "nuke" of a hard drive or any other flash memory device. Delete any partitions on a hard drive, cold restart with none formed. Then redo the partitions and format.. complete and unconditionally. For flash memory drives, there are utilities that can give a total wipe. Example:
Only problem is, Windows wants to know every file on an external drive, and attempt to work it. Therein is the problem.. the fuse is lit! In comes the virus. You would have to turn off the auto-play feature of the device first.
Try AdAware from www.lavasoft.com/ which is very effective with spyware and adware. Then HijackThis from http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html is a very powerful tool to fix Registry entries. But be cautious with its use, as results are permanent!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Copper » Thu May 14, 2009 9:52 am

Is this something that could be hiding in one PC and jump over the local office network? I was speaking to a guy who mentioned something about routers becoming host to malware, any truth to this?

most proberly an infected pc on the network

yes a router can be home to a virus, as router have a programable eprom, an any space left can be programed , and a virus could be hiden there
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security