best antivirus for everyday home use?

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby greytrains » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:04 pm

SilentKoala wrote:AVG sucks, get BitDefender

Would you please give us some reasons for your statement. :roll:
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."
Gerald Ford (1913 - 2006)
greytrains
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby snakebite66 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:50 pm

SilentKoala wrote:AVG sucks, get BitDefender

Err No......very good actually in my experience...for goodness sake it has a free version which beats many pay for products....

Just my experience and opinion....
"Take counsel in wine, but resolve afterwards in water."
Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
snakebite66
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Mr T » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:58 am

AVG has sucked recently on the free version... Always gives an error when trying to update and the 'link' scanner allowed a browser exploit through... Get the latest free version from filehippo.com and you should be ok...

I am trying antivir free and it seems ok so far....

But in the end if you use a free antivirus, back it up with antispyware, adware and antimalware to cover yourself...

Norton and Mcafee, well supported, but suck due to the simple reason, they bog your system down - come on coders at Symantec and Mcafee, sort your s**t out....
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Ripshod » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:09 am

Really surprised no-one has mentioned Comodo Internet Security?
:o :o :o :o
CALL &BD19 (If you need to ask you don't need to know)
Ripshod
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:24 am

Well that may have to do with several completely fubar'd systems a few years back. Comodo has managed to bork a few windows installs with me. I suppose they have improved and got their act together again?

Like any other vendor, AVG has managed to produce a lemon release recently and (which is far worse) it is starting to become a memory/CPU hog too :(
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Mon May 04, 2009 4:12 pm

Well is AVG the best, who knows? Not everyone has the same experience with something and that includes an anti virus program.

It seems to me after all these years and reading so many posts about PC users having issues with their PC's and blaming the PC or it's hardware for them, I have come away thinking that for the most part the user was more than likely the problem.

Years back I paid up the nose for all my PC's utilities and they all worked fine, but over the years I got cheap and a little more informed.

I now pay zip for all of my utilities, and along with reasonable PC use I have yet to run into any issues with nasties.

Sure there are both pay and free utilities out there and some may be better than others and they may not all do things the same way, but for the most part the better free ones get the job done, which is really all that matters, but still there is no guarantee a nasty won't get by, even with the better pay programs. IMO
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby bdub » Mon May 04, 2009 4:39 pm

32-bit or 64-bit os? how is avg on a 64-bit os with a good amount of ram (4-8 gigs) and a quad core chip? how is it with 16 gigs?

will seven-64 help over vista issues, or limited ram resource issues?

and is there a true 64-bit AV out there yet?
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby TriAngle » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:41 pm

Rip, I have installed Comodo Internet Security (Free) on many XP and Vista systems, and haven't had any problems. Updates, scans, detects, and removed problems quickly from here.

I had a crashed system last week. They had AVG, Avast and Panda installed, yet had over 30 trojans wreaking havoc and chaos.
After removing all the virii, i deleted all 3 antivirus programs and downloaded/installed Comodo Internet Security (Free). It found additional problems and deleted them. I also installed SUPERAntiSpyware. System works fine now.
"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
TriAngle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:17 pm

A vote here for the AVG suite. I recently bought the Pro version, and I really like it. Fast, efficient, and frequent updates. It DID let the latest browser hijack trojan through, but NO antivirus is perfect.

Keep that in mind, and back yourself up with a good adware scanner, spyware scanner, and trojan scanner. Update all three of those frequently, and run them.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security