Firefox won't open. Closes automatically

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Firefox won't open. Closes automatically

Postby hunter1801 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:15 pm

I on the internet and playing a game at the same time. It was working fine the whole time, then it automatically just closed. When I tried to reopen, it gave me the FireFox messages saying that it recovered from an error or something, and it asked me to "restore previous session" or "start new session". I tried to restore first, but it wouldn't open. Then I tried to start a new one and it closed right away.

Now I can't get Firefox to stay open for more than half a second. Ive restarted my computer, and reinstalled Firefox, but still no luck. Google is my homepage, and when I open the FireFox program, it flashes up really quick, and closes immediately.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this? I don't know if its a virus or what. Im using IE right now, and that works fine. I ran CCleaner and Ad-Aware. Nothing was found, and still no luck.

Update: COMPLETELY uninstalled FireFox. Even bookmarks and saved passwords (after backing them up). I reinstalled and started "fresh". I was able to stay connected for about a minute. I went on this site, and then I was looking through the tools->options menu (where you can clear private data, look at saved passwords, ect) and it automatically shut down again. Now it's doing the same thing. When I open it asks me to restore or start new session, but I don't even have time to click one. It shuts down.
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby greytrains » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:54 pm

What version of Firefox are you using? I would run your anti-virus program
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."
Gerald Ford (1913 - 2006)
greytrains
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby hunter1801 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:23 pm

Im using version 3.0.3. I don't have an anti-virus program. Never used one really. All I use is Ad-Aware. Are there any good free ones out there that I can run?
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby bdub » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:46 pm

my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby hunter1801 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:32 pm

I downloaded one today and ran it (still running but Im at school now). When I left it, it had found 2 malware items, and about 2-3 Trojans. Don't know what it will look like when I get home, but hopefully it will solve the issue.
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:20 am

Hope your system will be sanitized. Having no anti-virus or Firewall process is akin to walking naked in a mosquito-infested swamp!

AVG is a good program, but the purchased version will be more secure. If your Windows program has an active Firewall, choose one.. but not two identical processes. And ensure there are daily updates to all security measures.
The AdAware program can scan your system and bring out those tattle and malware cookies or other links for removal. And MS has its malware removal update, KB890830, which you can run either in default mode to check only the Windows folder, or your entire hard drive.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby hunter1801 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:48 am

Well it found a bunch of Trojans and Malware stuff. I think the list had 32 files. It seems to be working fine for now. But I have a new question:

When I was running Avast, the last Trojan it found was associated with svchost.exe. It was called "Win32:Trojan-gen {Other}". I removed it (sent it to the storage thing), but the message kept popping up every 2 seconds, that a new virus was found, but it was the exact same one. I deleted from the storage, but it still popped up. I kept removing them for about 15 minutes, but I have a feeling thats not going to do the trick.

I turned off the computer for the night, and now that I turned it back on this morning, everything seems fine. Mozilla is working now, but what could be the deal with that virus issue?
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:53 am

something autoloading in memory, when restarting you killed the process so avg could kick out the offending stuff for good. Nonetheless, keep a close eye on that system.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bdub » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:19 am

turning system restore off, rebooting into safe mode and running your scans might help.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:26 pm

What bdub noted may be the best avenue of cleaning up the system. Most viral forms are dormant, and easily routed.. plus not all services are running.
Turn off the 'restore' feature for Windows, then reboot to safe mode. Once you are certain that the system is clean, reboot normally and recheck. When you find no more traces of nasties, then turn the 'restore' feature back on.
You will see a lot of entries for svchost.exe but each is for a separate process. Any that are marked as 'unknown' or 'other' are very suspect!
Some of those Trojan nasties try to appear as a legitimate system file that should be opened.. and they normally can't be closed until the system is shut down.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security