Loading pages twice

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Loading pages twice

Postby Smurfcorpse » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:19 pm

Most of the time I have to click links two and three times before the page will load. Some times the page loads but it is all HTML text until I click refresh. It happens with all versions of firefox. I use IE to log into my netflix page and IE freezes up 6 times out of ten when trying to load the page.

I have ran all the anti-spyware programs I can find and they tell me I'm clean. I have ran AVG8 and Avast antivirus and they tell me I'm clean so I don't think it's a virus or spyware.

On this PC I am running Kerio personal firewall. I have noticed the ALG.EXE file running in task manager and I wonder if this needs to run when I'm not using internet connection sharing or the windows firewall.

I'm not sure when this started. Four things happened around the same time. I upgraded to AVG 8, I bought a new router, Service pak 3 and Firefox 3 came out.
As for the router; My PC is the only one on my network having any problems but it is the only one running Kerio. I have change back to Firefox 2.0**. and I have removed AVG8 and installed Avast.

Any thoughts?
It's always funny until someone loses an Operating System!
Smurfcorpse
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:18 am

You could try changing Kerio for the windows firewall just to see if that helps. When was the last time you checked your patch cords?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Smurfcorpse » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:50 am

I will try uninstalling Kerio later tonight. I have used Kerio for about 6 years and don't know if I can live without it. :-| I don't think the Windows firewall gives me much in the way of security though. I have an extra patch cord to try also.
Smurfcorpse
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:13 am

I didn't say that would be a permanent solution, I'm merely trying to exclude things, if Kerio is acting up, maybe they have an update or patch, who knows.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Smurfcorpse » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:25 pm

Well the check for updates button within the software said there were no updates available. I decided to check at their website anyway and guess what; There have been a lot of updates. So I've downloaded the latest version and that seems to have improved the Firefox issue I've only had to click one site's link twice but I think that's normal once in a while.
When loading Netflix; IE was locking up and needed to be manually closed to continue. After the update; I load my Netflix page and it seemed to lock up but after 20 seconds or so it finished loading.
I think I'm all set. It looks like the update was the answer! I feel like an airhead for not checking their website first.

Thanks evasive
Smurfcorpse
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:41 am

Ha! And guess how I come to ask this question. Been there, done that although different issue and other trivial solution. :)
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security